8 Gallon Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Oh my goodness, it has been quite some time since I was last on here. Well this time with stocking it is bittersweet. My 8g which was holding a half-moon betta and an amano shrimp got over heated while I was away from my home over the weekend... That was not a pleasant sight, my poor fish got cooked! Well I've went out and got a different, and smaller, heater for the tank. I also did a revamp, ok took out some plants and added more sand...

Now to this stocking ordeal (you'd think that I'd be good with it by now!)
It is 8g as said before, and is in the process of being moderately planted. I kinda did a splurge buy today. I was thinking about killifish, but this poor little guppy was calling me... So now I have one male guppy in the tank-alone. I want to remedy that. I was thinking about 2-3 more male guppies, but I still feel like there is room in there. Perhaps some thing else would be good in there that I cannot think of. I really do not want to put a dwarf gourami in the tank, not a big fan. Also the tank is well filtered (20g filter-200gph).

Thanks for any help!

You could get away with 1 male 2 females if you want to breed and you could add some shrimp

Hmmm... Breeding... A little scary, although my turtle might like that idea;).
I might do that. I think that would be a nice new experience, I've only had one fish breed on me! I had some endler/guppy mutt breed on me and I had to store them with my tiger shrimp for a week or so, let's say that I didn't have to get a new tank for the fry;) I don't think that the shrimp would be good. I have thought about putting some male endlers in with the male guppies, would a 2 male guppy and 3-4 male endler mix be good? I'm still a little in love with the endlers!!!

That should be fine I would do 2 male guppy and only 2 male endless and you should be fine

Ok, idea popped into my head, probably bad, but hey it never hurts to ask! I said that I had wanted killifish, do you think that one or two clown killifish would work? I'm sorry if that sounds like a horrible idea and you're thinking 'why would someone ever think of such a combination?'. I know that clown killifish are fairly small and work well with nano fish, but guppies are small-er... Ok, perhaps not... Or maybe chili or phenix rasboras? Any opinions on these?

Maybe a couple neon tetras? They're my favorite fish for small aquariums!

vanimal said:
Maybe a couple neon tetras? They're my favorite fish for small aquariums!

Oh those would be nice. My LFS has some kind of "blonde" version of them, my friend owns some! I could just stick with one guppy and do 6ish of those. Although I'm not so sure about the spacing. My tank is somewhat cube-ish. But it does have a 13" length and an 11"ish depth...

I think they would be fine. But there are the jumbo neon tetras and the normal ones so if you get the normal ones you should be fine! : )

No neons they need at least a 24 inch tank and I think you could do Pygmy killis at least

If you do get them get 5 or more so you can have a little school. That way it looks alot better and the fish are happier!

Yeah so the tetra idea gone. I think that I'll check out the LFS tomorrow and see what I come across, they always have some of the coolest fish for sale!

So today I went to the LFS. I ended up buying two male endlers livebearers, which are gorgeous! I will put pictures of them up once they settle into the tank. How many more of the guppies/endlers should I get? Just a rough estimate?

The endlers are dazzling! It's a shame I cannot seem to be able to post any pictures... I'm thinking one more male guppy and one or two more endlers. Also maybe some RCS for the bottom of the tank:D

RCS???? Whats that?

And endlers are similar to guppies right?

Last edited by a moderator:
vanimal said:
RCS???? Whats that?

Red cherry shrimp:) fun little shrimp that are just as prolific breeders as the guppies and endlers.

vanimal said:
And endlers are similar to guppies right?

Yes, actually they can interbreed, which is why I got only males of each species.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that sounds good! I think they would make a good addition to your tank! Can you post a picture of your tank?

vanimal said:
Oh that sounds good! I think they would make a good addition to your tank! Can you post a picture of your tank?

I was trying before but it wasn't working too well. I'm going to have to try tomorrow when my camera is done charging, to expect pictures then!

Back
Top Bottom