80 ppm nitrate!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to know what could be the couse of this, I am going to make a list of changes I have made to the tank and possible things that could create this and I want to know what would be the couse.
1. I got a new filter 2 weeks ago (it is a fluval 305, to replace a HOB)
2. I got a new led lighting system (that would not be the couse?)
3. My fish have been having all kinds of sicknesses over the last month I have been treating with paraguard, salt and Marcel one and two
4. I have a year old UGF that I have not cleaned (other than a gravel vac)
Any suggestions would be wonderful!

fishfanatic said:
I want to know what could be the couse of this, I am going to make a list of changes I have made to the tank and possible things that could create this and I want to know what would be the couse.
1. I got a new filter 2 weeks ago (it is a fluval 305, to replace a HOB)
2. I got a new led lighting system (that would not be the couse?)
3. My fish have been having all kinds of sicknesses over the last month I have been treating with paraguard, salt and Marcel one and two
4. I have a year old UGF that I have not cleaned (other than a gravel vac)
Any suggestions would be wonderful!

My best gets is the lack of cleaning in the UGF,

I have had plans for a while to remove the UGF, would this solve my problem? Just to add I just got the test kit today so I have no clue what levels they have been in the past... my bad

My best gets is the lack of cleaning in the UGF,

+1

I just installed airhoses beneath the plates of my partial UGF setup to help clean out debris that got trapped. You could try doing something like that, (I explain how I did it in my "Low-Tech..." thread - link in my signature), or you could use your powerheads if they are capable of performing a reverse flow, (I'm assuming that you're using powerheads w/ your UGF btw). Last resort would be to manually clean them out.

Oh and lots and lots and lots of partial water changes!!! Trust me, that will decrease the NitrAte level. Mine shot up once to a whopping 160ppm out of nowhere, and thanks to the good folks on here, I was able to get them down to 40ppm in a week or so.

I have just been using an airstone to run my UGF. I think this is frowned upon by most people. Now that I have the new canister filter I want to bag the whole idea of a UGF

I have just been using an airstone to run my UGF. I think this is frowned upon by most people. Now that I have the new canister filter I want to bag the whole idea of a UGF

Honestly, I would get rid of the UGF. I'm using 550 Penguin Powerheads and they're not even powerful enough to suck everything up, so I could only imagine what little an airstone would do. A canister filter alone should get the job done w/ no problem. (y)

What size tank do you have and how long has it been setup?

It is 35 gallons, and will be set up for a year this summer

It is 35 gallons, and will be set up for a year this summer

You set your tank up around the same time I set mine up. :D

Getting the NitrAtes down is going to be a pain, but I would definitely consider removing the UGF's and do a few large pwc's... that will help!

I'm about to log off, but I wish you and your fishies the best! I'm sure others will chime in to give you even more advice.

How many gallons would be considered a PWC. My plan for the next week is to remove the UGF I also wanted to change the gravel. Would this be too much to do at once? Would I have a mini cycle?

I changed my substrate and i think it did cause a mini cycle - either that or I stirred up a bunch of nasties.

I changed from gravel to sand.

What is your reasoning for wanting to change the gravel? Just to get new clean stuff in there?

If so, you could vacuum it instead with a gravel vac. Or if you must change it, I would recommend doing half at a time - waiting a period in between halfs.. or make sure you have lots of rocks/plants/ceramics in there and change all of the gravel.

Need some surface area for your bacteria

I would remove the ugf first and then do a vacuum. After seeing if the levels are ok, (you can stir up nasties when you remove the ugf) then doing the substrate redo.

I would wait a bit though until your filter has a good solid chance to have the bacteria it needs. New filter and changing out gravel woudl be a big shock to your system in my opionion.

I would do a 30% or more pwc and try to get those trates down. I'd follow it up with another pwc if its still real high.
Just keep testing, you'll get the levels down before you know it. :-D

I want to change from gravel to a dirt with PFS on top to try and help my plants. The only problem with changing my substrate half and half is that I will have to drain my whole tank in order to put all the dirt on the bottom of the sand

Back
Top Bottom