90 gal Cichlid Water Supply Issues - Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limojica

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just discovered after months of constant water changes that my water source itself is contaminated. I test the water before and after water changes and noticed there's always ammonia so I tested the source. There it is! Ammonia right from the source. Now what do I do? I've been adding both slime coat and Prime (Holdex Jungle and Amquel Ammonia detoxifier as well) when adding water but I am changing the water if not every day every other day and still have ammonia at .25

I lost one fish yesterday and another is sick with the same thing. Mouth fungus, white foam on body, and fin rot. I put in Fungus Care to treat the entire tank since some of my other fish have white stuff on their fins. I am so worried that I'll lose all my fish since this is not something I can control anymore if it's the water source. How can I treat this?:nono:

It's not that uncommon to have Ammonia, chlorine/mines and nitrates in your tap. Prime should take care of all of these when you treat it. I don't think you need any other treatment. Note that you will get a false positive on the ammonia after treating with Prime.

Seachem. Prime FAQ

I don't know about treating fungus. Just be careful in treating your tank so that you don't kill your beneficial bacteria.

Thanks for the advice. I arrived home to find two more fish dead. I immediately started to change the water then thought it's the filter again...I took it apart and it was beyond filthy. The tubes had so much trapped grime. I can't even get it clean and I'm afraid to put it back on. I'll have to purchase replacements. I don't understand what is wrong with the filter (FX5). It's evil. It's so hard to clean. I have a few sponge filters running so I hope they'll be okay for tonight. Think I'll have to order the parts so it will be a few days. A few days of sick fish with no filtration. I'm on edge :(

I've got an FX5 myself running on a 150 gal. I fill it up (all three baskets)with bio media and one polishing pad. I've been using it about five months and have had no trouble at all.

Make sure you keep your bio media intact when you clean it. Also don't let the bacteria get dry when cleaning. Use tank water to rinse not tap. You probably already know all this. Good luck.

Thank you Ardynas, good to hear. I'm going to try one more time to get this filter working. I just ordered the replacement hoses and polishing pads. I didn't have them so hopefully they will work to catch the small debris before getting into the housing and back into the water. My fingers are crossed. Thanks again for responding. I just lost another fish...this has got to stop! I've been working on the tank since 6 pm this evening.

limojica said:
The tubes had so much trapped grime. I can't even get it clean and I'm afraid to put it back on.
Long pipe cleaners are wonderful things. You can pick them up at just about any LFS.

Thanks, I had no idea. I ordered new ones online. Waiting for them to arrive. Wondering if this filter FX5 is too powerful for a 90 gal. Going to contact the manufacturer for spec recommendations and advice.

limojica said:
Thanks, I had no idea. I ordered new ones online. Waiting for them to arrive. Wondering if this filter FX5 is too powerful for a 90 gal. Going to contact the manufacturer for spec recommendations and advice.

What's the parameters of ur water? I also have amm from the tap but the prime should treat that. 24 hrs After a wc u shouldn't have amm. Unless ur crowded!

Actually I've been having this issue since Nov when I discovered a few dead spots in the tank. I had babies and didn't clean near the rocks. When I went to remove the babies to give them away the dead spots appeared...the water was literally black but the filter cleared it. I had just cleaned the filter so I didn't think to clean it again...I know, dummy. I just kept changing the water. Finally after losing a load of fish I gave the filter a good cleaning and the problem was only half there as I discovered a few days ago. I didn't clean the hoses so I continued to have ammonia issues. I removed the unit (FX5) and have a 110 aquaclear and (3) ProV sponge filters and for three days straight I've had no ammonia. My concern now is if I should even put the filter back on not knowing if there are "dirty" spots I can't see. No way do I want to lose anymore fish. I've lost too many to this issue. I have about 40 african cichlids.

limojica said:
Actually I've been having this issue since Nov when I discovered a few dead spots in the tank. I had babies and didn't clean near the rocks. When I went to remove the babies to give them away the dead spots appeared...the water was literally black but the filter cleared it. I had just cleaned the filter so I didn't think to clean it again...I know, dummy. I just kept changing the water. Finally after losing a load of fish I gave the filter a good cleaning and the problem was only half there as I discovered a few days ago. I didn't clean the hoses so I continued to have ammonia issues. I removed the unit (FX5) and have a 110 aquaclear and (3) ProV sponge filters and for three days straight I've had no ammonia. My concern now is if I should even put the filter back on not knowing if there are "dirty" spots I can't see. No way do I want to lose anymore fish. I've lost too many to this issue. I have about 40 african cichlids.

Well if u want to sell it let me know!!

I've been thinking I should just do that...contacted the manufacturer for advice on the unit and my tank load to see what I should do. I'll let you know.

I sent an email. Should receive a response in 3 days. If I don't hear back by Monday of next week (I'm sure they'll respond though) I'll call.

Here is the response from Hagen. It seems the filter is fine for my tank but if I clean the tank again and it absorbs a lot of debris, it MUST be cleaned immediately, both the unit and hoses as they will get clogged. This is certainly a big lesson to me on filters. If they absorb debris they have to be rinsed or the waste will just go back into the water and you'll never get rid of ammonia.

"The FX5 is certainly big enough for this tank but if it is very heavily populated it will require more manintenance. You stated the fitler was clogged, how long had it been since the last cleaning? The filter cannot cause high levels of ammonia. Do you use either zeocarb or ammonia remover in the filter? I would set up the filter again as it will work fine on that tank but I would keep an accurate record of when you do scheduled cleanings so it does not get clogged to the point the fish are in danger."

You can always go to the local hardware store and get some new hoses for the FX5. The FX5 hoses are ribbed. I purchased a non ribbed type hose. Some say get black so light can't hit the water in the hose but that's up to you. I got a clear hose and it's got a bunch of algae growing in it.

I'm sure you're vacuuming your substrate with the PWC's. Always a good habit.

The manufacturer just confirmed your statement! The rep said the hoses are ribbed so that's the reason for the trapped debris. The rep said you can clean them with a brush if you can get them through. I may just try my luck at the non ribbed ones if I can't get this together.

Yes, I vaccum every few days because I do feed them well. Seems the FX5 is a real monster. I still can't believe how well it cleared the waste in the tank the day this all started. If only I knew to clean the filter the same day I would have saved my fish :( Live and learn but at least now I can start over more experienced.

The rep also said the polishing pads trap a lot of debris and can clog water flow if unattended.

I'm on day 5 of an ammonia free tank! WhooHoo!

I basically fill mine up with bio-media in all three baskets. I add a polishing pad in the bottom basket over the biomedia. Seems to be working pretty well.

Sounds like you are on your way. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom