90 gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabezon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got the 90 up and running, and now it looks empty.

current inhabitants:

2 green severums
2 angels
1 yoyo loach
1 footlong pleco
1 bala shark
5 danios
5 green barbs
2 rainbows of some sort
1 black skirt tetra
3 red tetras

I think i have it all.

But now I need a fish worthy of a 90. possibly some clown loaches or a knife. any ideas?

Bala Shark get to be roughly 1 - 1 1/2 ft. if I'm not mistaken.

Do you have a problem with the barbs and angels? or are they fine with a larger tank?

I would definatly add some more loaches you you get that "loachy" behaviour.

Also, I would add more tetras as the like to school.

I wouldnt put in oscar in with the tetras, unless you dont want them...

Add some more angels, danios, barbs, and tetras. A group of clown loaches would be good too. I wouldn't go with any knives in a tank as well stocked as yours.

You most certainly do not want an oscar. I had two and those things are swimming mouths. If you wanted something that gets big you could possibly go with a red bellied pacu. They get enormous and they are supposed to be vegetarians. Mine ate feeder fish but I think that was because they saw the oscars doing it and I would usually not feed in the morning and then put feeders in at night. They are really cool looking fish though imo.

No, don't get a red bellied pacu unless you have at least 200g to keep it to itself... and even then just don't get a pacu.

No, don't get a red bellied pacu unless you have at least 200g to keep it to itself... and even then just don't get a pacu.

+1, those should not be for sale.

hold on the bala shark

Bala Shark get to be roughly 1 - 1 1/2 ft. if I'm not mistaken.

that is the list of fish I have. I already have a bala.

OK, so that's a no on the knife. :(

I have no problem with the barbs and angels. Either the greens aren't as bad as the tigers, or the angels are keeping them in check. This tank grouping replicates a group that I had in my office a few years ago.

I was hoping to find a spotlight fish like the severums. Discus are just too expensive.

Sorry for my recommendation on the pacu. :( I was a very uneducated aquarist when I got it and I was told that a fish would only get as big as it's tank would allow. What about a gourami? I think they are some pretty cool looking fish!

I was looking at some that get 4". There are giant qouramis too though. On liveaquaria.com there is a Blue Paradise which is a very cool looking fish! Just an idea. It says that it is semi-aggressive but the barbs are classified as semi-aggressive as well. According to the liveaquaria.com compatibility chart gouramis are not incompatible with any of your fish.

I had a gold gouramis that was previously the oldest member of my tank, and he jumped the back a few months ago. He was a bully. I then got a sunset, and he was found dead. I may look at the giant, thanks

Snail, my local store had 4 pacus in a tank, with a stern warning about them. they are adorable though. The local zoo have some in their pond. Some fish are just too big for anything short of a monster tank.

edit: that's funny. the gold gouramis is listed as getting to 6" and the giant grows to 4".

Giant gouramis get about a foot long. I'd lump them in with pacu, ID sharks, etc. as fish that shouldn't be stocked in the LFS.

I am not sure what kind of gourami my brother has but I really like it. I think it is a powder blue gourami or something like that. I like the long pectoral fin things that hang off. I had a fw angel in my 29g bow front tank when I first got back from my first deployment and it was really cool but I have had bad luck with them since. I don't know what the difference is but the last few I have had died.

Back
Top Bottom