90 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone. I have been around for a while now and things were going pretty well in my tank until just recently. I have had a big loss in my tank and now I am ready to start thinking of restocking. thought I would put a shout out here and see what everyone thinks. Several questions.

I have a 90 gallon tank that has been up and running for over a year now. I lost many fish and want to restock. Currently in my tank:
1 bosemani rainbow (male)
2 otto
1 small common pleco
1 small platy
11 harlequin rasbora
1 male Bolivian Ram
1 silver molly
1 dalmation molly

i have purchased 2 turquoise rainbows and 2 bosemani rainbows (1 male, 1 female). these guys are currently in my QT tank. they are much smaller than my current bosemani. will he be happy with them. not much I can really do about it since you can't buy the big ones!

I want to replace my polka-dot loaches that I lost. they were great, so I will get them into my QT tank as soon as I move the current guys out.

questions: are my 2 ottos ok with just 2 of them or should I add a few more to their group?

any other suggestions? I was thinking of adding some cory catfish in there. they are so cute! would they mix in there well? I have never had them before.

what do you guys think of this stocking?

I would suggest maybe getting rid of the pleco since they get so big and are poop machines and also they don't eat very much algae either...if you really want a pleco I would suggest getting a bristlenose pleco since they stay pretty small compared to the common plecos...but I would definitely suggest adding some more ottos as they prefer to be in a school and do an excellent job cleaning up algae...also sorry to hear about your loss what happened?...and good luck

The pleco will grow slow, but as soon as it reach 6" i would find it a new home. Also, your rasboras are happier in big groups, you could get about 20 with no problem. The ottos would also be happier in groups, maybe 5-8 more. Also, the loaches should be in groups, 10 of those guys would be nice. Then 10 Corys of your choice. All those additions, plus the rainbows, you would be stocked.

A bristlenose pleco would be a hardier algae eater. Keep in mind they are territorial so I would add lots of hiding areas

thanks guys! I will add a few more ottos to my list. I had 6 loaches before and they are great. I will probably go with around that same number. I got the pleco because the ottos just were not doing anything with the algae. can't get snails because of the loaches. LOVE the loaches so they are a must to have again.

I am disappointed to hear that the pleco won't do much for the algae. will he not eat what I have?

cory cats and loaches - pretty much the same type of fish as far as bottom scavengers right? they will get along ok right?

so my tank story is this: I let my tank get to not so clean and then did a big cleaning job along with a thorough cleaning of my filters. then I went and got a pleco and dropped him straight in there without QT. I think all of that stressed out my fish and possibly introduced ick. by the time I figured it out things were pretty bad. I lost at least 18 fish :( will really try and not do that again. why oh why do I not learn? I have a QT tank after all - I just didn't use it. treating with heat now and looks like the guys I have left are keepers. just wish I didn't lose all my big fish! my rainbows and loaches were huge!

Back
Top Bottom