90 gallon stocking tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnbrunner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
we are setting up a 90 gallon with a Fluval FX5 filter, and T5 lights. Our water's KH =6-7 PH is 7.8-8. we already have an idea of what we would like to stock it with but would like a little input or advice. The tank will be heavily planted with high nutrient soil under sand, 4 48' T5 Aquaticlife, not planning on C02 at this time, but maybe in the future. We would like a school of 8 Roseline Sharks, 8 Boesemani rainbows, 10 marble hatchetfish(if compatible for some top swimmers), 8 sterbai corydoras, large school of cardinal tetras 20-30 if compatible (already have about 20 in our comunity tank), and if needed Chinese algae eaters. Since we are getting rid of our smaller tanks, we would also like to throw in our pair of GBRs. We know that most of these fish like the higher current, so we think they may do well with the FX5 in the 90. Let us know what you think, constructive criticism appreciated!!:thanks:

Probably doable, although I don't have experience with all of those fish together. You'd be somewhat overstocked though, but probably nothing major. Just keep up with a good water change schedule.

That sounds like a good stock. BUT.... In my opinion there will be to much movement/activity. Maybe instead of the hatchets, or tetras, get a couple gourami, or smaller cichlid. That would make it more balanced, with some slower moving fish, and then the more active schoolers.

I agree with NYgiants. That seems like a LOT of activity to go in the tank. I think 20 cardinals is a good number to stick with too, I'm sure you'll end up with fry from them eventually raising the numbers.
I dont know much about the roseline sharks or rainbows so I cant speak there with compatibility, but the rest are all compatible to each other.

I'd avoid the chinese algea eaters and maybe get a bristlenose pleco or two instead. CAE's become more carniverous once they reach maturity and can eventually start killing off your other fish by sucking their slime coats off.. Just something to think about... the BNP's come in a lot of different color types and only grow to a max of 5-6".

id go with 45 red wag platies! lol

im just kidding cant wait to see the tank though!

Lol we are not big fans of platies! We had some sunburst platies at one point but found that they just created alot of waste compared to our other fish.

Lol we are not big fans of platies! We had some sunburst platies at one point but found that they just created alot of waste compared to our other fish.

Yes they do! There's seriously not a time (it seems like) that I don't look in my tank and atleast one of them is pooping. I love their color, but all the poop can get a bit annoying lol.

I agree with NYgiants. That seems like a LOT of activity to go in the tank. I think 20 cardinals is a good number to stick with too, I'm sure you'll end up with fry from them eventually raising the numbers.
I dont know much about the roseline sharks or rainbows so I cant speak there with compatibility, but the rest are all compatible to each other.

I'd avoid the chinese algea eaters and maybe get a bristlenose pleco or two instead. CAE's become more carniverous once they reach maturity and can eventually start killing off your other fish by sucking their slime coats off.. Just something to think about... the BNP's come in a lot of different color types and only grow to a max of 5-6".

We have never had the chinese algae eaters before so thanks for the tips. We may just stick to ottos then. Since we have a ton of them anyway. Not sure that we want plecos at all but we will keep them in mind. We likely wont get fry from our tetras because of our high PH. I suppose its still possible but it seems the only thing we succesfully breed is guppies lol. Our apistos and angels spawn but eggs just dont make it more than 36 hours because of water conditions. We have two breeding pairs of angels atm, but we are trying to get rid of one pair. Blue marble male and koi female. We are keeping our pair of paraibas though.

Well we just finished building and painting or stand an bought our new tank a few days ago, and started thismorning with setting up the tank. And our new lights came just as we got our plants in there. We are still working on it, and putting in some vallis, amazon swords, cabomba, and other plants. It has the aquaticlife 4 bulb ( 2 6000k bulbs and 2 roseate bulbs), hydor 400w heater, Fluval FX5 filter. I will add pics as we go and another when the fish are all settled in!

Well we just finished building and painting or stand an bought our new tank a few days ago, and started thismorning with setting up the tank. And our new lights came just as we got our plants in there. We are still working on it, and putting in some vallis, amazon swords, cabomba, and other plants. It has the aquaticlife 4 bulb ( 2 6000k bulbs and 2 roseate bulbs), hydor 400w heater, Fluval FX5 filter. I will add pics as we go and another when the fish are all settled in!

Heres some

Attachments

• image-1176661464.jpg
    image-1176661464.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 86
  • image-270542275.jpg
    image-270542275.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 60
  • image-3712760213.jpg
    image-3712760213.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 61
We have never had the chinese algae eaters before so thanks for the tips. We may just stick to ottos then. Since we have a ton of them anyway. Not sure that we want plecos at all but we will keep them in mind. We likely wont get fry from our tetras because of our high PH. I suppose its still possible but it seems the only thing we succesfully breed is guppies lol. Our apistos and angels spawn but eggs just dont make it more than 36 hours because of water conditions. We have two breeding pairs of angels atm, but we are trying to get rid of one pair. Blue marble male and koi female. We are keeping our pair of paraibas though.

I didn't know that about cae's I have two of them and I suspect they are the culprit of the death of my panda Cory. I'll be getting rid of mine ASAP!

I didn't know that about cae's I have two of them and I suspect they are the culprit of the death of my panda Cory. I'll be getting rid of mine ASAP!

Get some otos if you dont have them already. They do an amazing job of getting rid of algae! But that is all they will eat, so you do have to have continuous algae. Ive tried feeding mine algae wafers but all of my other fish get to them first.

Almost done. Would like some jungle val and some more cabomba maybe tho.

Attachments

• image-3594484965.jpg
    image-3594484965.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 44
Get some otos if you dont have them already. They do an amazing job of getting rid of algae! But that is all they will eat, so you do have to have continuous algae. Ive tried feeding mine algae wafers but all of my other fish get to them first.

I don't have them as I'm pretty sure I don't have algae all the time. I'm not sure LFS has them though.

Got the GBRs, paraiba angels, tetras, a couple corys and our guppies in here right now. As we get our new fish we will be swapping them with these guys. (We are using some substrate that is full of healthy bacteria as well as plants and some well seeded filter media from one of our other well established tanks)

Attachments

• image-3562430940.jpg
    image-3562430940.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom