92G Corner tank weight on upper level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am purchasing a 92G corner tank for my Discus in 3 days, It will be replacing their 44g Corner tank they are in now.. Dimensions are 35-35 front to back on the side panels, 25 inches tall, and 48 Inches from corner to corner. Im guess final weight will be probably be around 1,000lbs, and with me standing there probly around 1250 lbs just a guess..

Its a townhouse, and there is obviously one hosue directly connected to mine on one wall, and the other wall is an outside wall.. So im guessing that the outside is a load bearing wall.

I don't think I will have issues but I just wanna see what you all think. Place was built in 1998

Be great to see those discus in a new home! I'm sure they will love it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I tried to tell people on this forum I was getting a new tank for them, I just needed the funds and for one to pop up on craigslist. Im paying only $200 for it, with the stand, No lights but that's fine I have my 65w Power Compact Orbit fixture.. it is only about 28 inches long sadly, but I also have two custom built 65W Power compacts I made my self using a T8 Housing from a 55g tank.. So Lighting might look a tad weird on top of the tank.. but a tank that's so darn wide and girthy like this will be hard to light. But yes my discus will like it.. And so will I.

itll be my first near 100g tank. And I like odd shaped tanks vs retangles.. And its 48 inches long like a 55g-75g-90g tank.. But much deeper at 35 inches.. I will need a ladder to reach the back of the tank.

I am deff resealing it though.. My pentagon leaked and it was a 10 year old tank on craigslist.. This one is 12 years old..

Yeah I would definitely check the seals after that long. Is it only going to have discus or other species?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Im moving all my fish from my 44g into it. I have an Eheim 2217 on my 44g, with a smaller Tetra whisper 30 single HOB, and I have about 20 Neon/cardinals mixed with 2 Electric blue rams, 2 cory, 2 ottos. Bunch of snails..

Im not sure what im doing with the 44g after... I just resealed it so I might sell it on Craigslist... I think I will set it up down stairs though and move all my fish from my 27g hexagon in it, and reseal my hex. My Hex is 15 years old and the seals... are like beyond horrible. I don't like my hexagon much anymore.. but its a childhood tank.. my first ever fish tank.. So I don't think I can ever part ways with it.. All I know is im going to have too many fish tanks in the house after this.. 9 tanks is too many.. lol I have to get rid of one of my bigger tanks.

Anyway what do you think of the weight ? Its going to be on the 3rd level, against 2 walls one of them is an outside wall leading to the front of the house.. And since its a townhouse the other wall leads to well my neighbors bedroom lol

This is my biggest discus currently..

img_3201219_0_f48163de9aac05d148e68a15b3bba855.jpg

All of my tanks are on ground floor of a house. I would say try to base them on cross sections of the flooring. If you are iffy about the weight, grab like 10-15 friends to equal about 1400-1600 pounds and have them jump and stomp on the section of floor where you want the tank. If the floor holds fine you know it can support the tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well I don't have 10-15 friends lol Not even 1 friend really, don't ask why lol..

But Im 300lbs myself.. My 44g pentagon is half the weight of the 92g.. Me Standing there is almost equal to the 92g by itself.. And if I jump up and down the tank water abviously gets a little wavy which is normal but it seems fine.. And Me jumping up and down when I hit the ground its equivalent to almost 2-3x my weight standing still I believe. Ive had my brother stand next to me in front of the tank looking at my discus.. and he weighs 180lbs.. So the floor right there was probly holding around 1080 lbs.. The tank weighing maybe 540 lbs with water and gravel and the stand and so forth..

So a 92g tank with water by itself im guessing would weigh about that much by itself.. Am I right ? So I guess itll be fine.. Just want some opinions

Well my largest is 75g. I'd like to see others opinions. And some of my "friends" ignore me now because of this hobby.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

736 in water alone

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

water beds are always up on a top floor in many cases some weigh up to 1600lbs , they do weigh a lot more than your tank and are placed up on the second floor , water weighs aprox 6 1/2 lbs per gallon just round off to 7 multiply that by 92
thats what water in your tank weighs ,than add how many pounds of rock and sand ill estimate it at 100lbs and the tank weigh another 100 for a total of 844lbs for your tank stand water volume and rock and sand , your tank will be fine on second floor ,

I keep 3 tanks on 2nd floor all next to each other a 90g and 2 40g almost 2000lbs
not counting our weight and furniture in that room , and things are just fine

Back
Top Bottom