(=(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friendly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went into my basement and saw that my 75g tank was half empty :(. A connection on my UV sterilizer came undone and my water pump drained half my tank. I wish I didn’t have carpet in my basement :cry:.

The part that worries me the most is that about 4 hours before this happened I did a 50% water change. I had to fill my half emptied tank up again so I basically did a 100% water change today.

Will doing almost a 100% water change kill any of my fish or harm them?

I was very relieved that my tank didn’t have a crack. At first I thought that was the case.

The water changes will not hurt your fish. I am sorry about your accident I just went through the same thing myself.

Wow, that terrible. Thats one of my fears; of coming home to see a half empty tank. Thats one of the reasons I like the HOB type filters best, although I have been eyeballing the H.O.T. system lately for my cichlid tank.

As for it affecting the fish I'm not 100% sure but I have done 80-90% water changes with no ill effects on my cichlids. IMHO I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Friendly said:
The part that worries me the most is that about 4 hours before this happened I did a 50% water change. I had to fill my half emptied tank up again so I basically did a 100% water change today.

Not to worry -- you only did a 75% water change today. Think of it this way: before your leak you had 50% old water and 50% new water. If you drain half of that out you end up with 25% old water and 25% new water. Add another half tank of new water and you're up to 75% new water and 25% old water. :wink:

Thanks for the responses guys, I feel much better now about my fish. Can't say I feel much better about my basement......... lol. I checked up on all my fish and they're all doing ok. I thought that maybe the sudden drop in nitrate would have caused some problems.

Thanks again everyone!

Sorry to hear about the mess but your fish were probably actually loving the water change LOL. I do min. 50% now myself. Seems like there has been a lot of water leaking lately with our members.

I'm part of the water leak club. Happened to my SW 55gal when I was away from home for the weekend, thank God for a pet sitter that knew what she was doing.

Saved our wood floors, most of the critters, and LR.

Bought a new 55 gal, set it up with all new RO water and so far no cycle, guess the bacteria on the LR survived the action.

Put critters back in from QT and no ammonia or nitrite after 3 days. The little pods are even back, they are crawling all over the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom