A couple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
First off, do y'all think I could put an aquarium in the basement even though it gets down to 65*F or so in the dead of winter? I didn't know if it would be too hard on the heater or not.

Second, what would be a good stocking for a semi-agressive 29g aquarium? I was thinking 8 or 10 tiger barbs and 1 rainbow shark.

a tank in the basement is fine,as long as you have a heater the temp shouldnt change to much. a rainbow shark needs a 55 gallon minimum,they get up to 6 inches long and can get really aggressive if they dont have enough territory.

A basement tank is fine, I have a 10g in my basement and there are never heating problems. Make sure you get the right wattage heater though.

As for the 29g tank, I would just do the tiger barbs.

65 in the winter isn't that cold at all IMO/E. For a 29g, I'd suggest a 200w Aqueon Pro heater.

sounds like others have some good info on the RB shark and there's no substitute for good research and listening to other with valuable experience to pass along.

When choosing heaters I always use 3-5wpg as a rule, any higher and if there's a malfunction there's a great chance to have fried fish for dinner. I usually shoot for lower wattage to get by, but there's the school of thought that a higher wattage works less increasing life expectancy.

And 80% of my tanks are below ground with no issues, they acutally flucuate less than the upper level tanks.

Back
Top Bottom