A few questions about my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hovoc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just have a few questions regarding my tank. Looking for some advice on a few things.

1. Ive got some build up of food on the front glass, some of the decor and plants. I know its a build up from over feeding, which I do on purpose to help stimulate my MTS population, but what besides the MTS, and mystery snail will eat all the leftovers thats building up on the glass and decor?

2. Current stocking list is 6 blue platys, 3 red platys, 3 guppies, 2 dalmation mollies, 10 neons, and a mystery snail. What else would you guys recommend for this tank?

3. My two female guppies look to be pregnant, they have swollen bellies, what look like a gravid spot, but theyve been pregnant for 4 weeks or more. They were pregnant when I bought them, but they have yet to give birth. Does it take more than 4 weeks?

4. Below is a pic of my tank setup currently. Yes I know I need to top it off, tomorrow is water day :) What else would you add regarding decor or plants to make this look better. I was thinking of more plants, but wasnt sure.

img_1098636_0_b4523eaf123af96c8d65aa9c69fe5c00.jpg

1. Nerite snails are supposed to be really good at cleaning glass.

2. Get some fish for the bottom. Corys or khulis are my vote.

3. It can take a little while. If they're actually pregnant, expect fry any day now. Some guppies have what looks like a gravid spot naturally. It'll get darker when they're actually pregnant.

4. It looks good to me. Maybe some taller plants in the background.

I would suggest you feed less, even if you are trying to get your snail population up. Having a "build up" of uneaten food at the surface is not a good thing. It will eventually decay and start creating ammonia which is toxic to your fish, and snails. I would recommend only feeding a little at a time, wait for them to eat it all then feed another pinch or so. Do this for a few minutes or until they loose interest.

Back
Top Bottom