a few questions, nothing important

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if anyone has or knows where I can see pictures of healthy fat otos. mine is so very round in the tummy, I just don't know if its a good round or a bad round. Also, since changing to sand, my corys sift around in it, suck some up into their mouths, and it looks like it spills out of their gills. What is that about? And lastly, my husband (the best) just ordered me my very first ever REAL driftwood for my tank. YIPPY! It was ordered from aquariumdriftwood.com. does anyone have experience with this company? And is there anything I need to do to the wood when I get it? TIA

Just boil the driftwood and it should be fine.
Did you try feeding peas to the otos?
Also, since changing to sand, my corys sift around in it, suck some up into their mouths, and it looks like it spills out of their gills. What is that about?
That's normal. They are just shifting through the sand for food.

:oops: I don't have any peas, haven't made it to the store, I am going to get some today! I put some broccoli in the tank, they didn't touch it.

What kind of driftwood did you get? Some is bogwood (better - it is dense and won't float) and some takes months of soaking before it will sink. Driftwood contains tannins that will stain your water tea-colored, thus the boiling. If the piece is too big to boil you can soak it in a Rubbermaid tub or something, changing the water every day, until it does not leach tannins anymore. Or, you can have a blackwater tank and keep the amber water if you don't feel like soaking or boiling.

I am SO excited!!! It should be shipped tomorrow!! Here is a quote from their site, "Our driftwood sinks naturally. It is collected under water so there is no need for an awkward base to keep it from floating. This is not just a chunk of wood. A general description would include such features as arches, branches, holes, caves, and hollows. Each piece is unique. For color and character this is the very best. Each centerpiece has been painstakingly cleaned and is completely safe for your aquarium. Our driftwood will not turn your water dark."

I also have ten days to decide if I like it. If I don't I can just ship it back and get my money back. I think that is a pretty good deal. But funny story... I was taking to my dad yesterday, telling him about the driftwood, and he couldn't believe I actually paid money for "wet wood" He is an avid fisherman so now I have him scouting the rivers for wood for me!!

just a note. be sure on river wood to use very dense wood from trees that naturally grow in the water else you may end up with a possible mess. also completely dry and rinse and soak any wood. sorry i'd just hate to see you get some pests or anything.
i know this is kinda sacrilige but the best driftwood i ever saw was fake. it was seriously awesome.
oh about the gills and sand that normal. you could think of it as filter feeding they are sucking up the sand removing any food and ejecting it back to the floor of the tank. i saw your post with picture awhile back, but i didnt think any ofthem showed the final product do you ahve any? i'd like to see it, i used playsadn so mine is more like beach sand and i always regretted at least in the one tank not using tahitian moon

Oh and dont worry, I will not put anything in my tank unless I am POSITIVE it is safe. I have enough trouble for the time being

Back
Top Bottom