A herd of snails showed up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pksii

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a 29G tank that we've had for a little over a year (slight upgrade from a 20G prior to that). 2 days ago we noticed about 10-12 tiny snails. We assumed that our two mystery snails ended up with babies, but after looking at some pictures, they don't look like baby mystery snails... They look possibly like trumpet snails? I've been manually picking them out and am up to at least 30-40 and saw at least 10 more just now.

We haven't added anything new to the tank since January when we added a couple Zebra Mollies and a plant (Ludwigia), so I don't think we picked up any hitchhiking snails from anywhere (they wouldn't stay dormant for 5 months, then all of a sudden show up at once, would they?).

We do water changes and vacuum the gravel at least every 2 weeks, sometimes every week, and trim back the plants (at least the hornwort gets pulled completly out and cut back, it grows like mad), and have removed and cleaned the wood a few times.

https://ibb.co/VYsY9Lk
VYsY9Lk

https://ibb.co/vj4m9KG
vj4m9KG

The snails in question range from 1mm to 2mm long right now.

1) Are they trumpet snails?
2) Where could they have come from?

Thanks,
PKSII

Pics aren’t working but it sounds like trumpet snails. They hide in your substrate during the day and are active mostly at night. Thier shells are pointy like ice cream cones. They breed like rabbits. If you don’t want your tank over run, I’d invest in a snail trap or better yet, an assassin snail.

I've had a overpopulated tank because of snails, (approximately 188 l) after assassin snail, my tank roughly goes more than 20-40
Pics aren’t working but it sounds like trumpet snails. They hide in your substrate during the day and are active mostly at night. Thier shells are pointy like ice cream cones. They breed like rabbits. If you don’t want your tank over run, I’d invest in a snail trap or better yet, an assassin snail.

I saw recommendations for assassin snails also, but we have two mystery snails and it seems hit or miss of it'll cause problems with them. We have an angelfish (for Molly fry control) that already occasionally pesters the snails. I don't want to add to that.
I'd rather get a couple loaches again (smaller than the dojos). I read that dwarf chain, yoyos, and zebra loaches are good for snail control and stay on the smaller side.

I wouldn't worry about them too much. Snails are actually quite useful in a tank, they can help aerate the substrate and clean up uneaten food/dead plant matter/algae etc. Trumpet snails in particular are quite unobtrusive as they spend most of their time foraging in the substrate. They won't breed out of control unless you regularly overfeed your fish and/or have lots of decaying organic matter in the tank. And if their population grows out of control, you can get some assassin snails (Anentome helena), they should kill off most of them. Or a snail trap/manual removal.

So I've tried replying a couple times correcting the image, but apparently they are getting deleted...
One more try with the image uploaded to the forum storage:
Snails:
120928-albums14828-picture72661.jpg

Whole tank for context:
120928-albums14828-picture72662.jpg

Actually I'm not so sure...they could be baby mts, but I have lots of these small ones in my tank and they never seem to grow at all, they just stay that size. I have no big mts in my tank whatsoever, just these tiny little conical snails that never seem to grow, but stay about the size of a pinhead. The tank has been running for 6 months and I've yet to see a big one...I don't think they are mts...maybe some type of mud snail?

Actually I'm not so sure...they could be baby mts, but I have lots of these small ones in my tank and they never seem to grow at all, they just stay that size. I have no big mts in my tank whatsoever, just these tiny little conical snails that never seem to grow, but stay about the size of a pinhead. The tank has been running for 6 months and I've yet to see a big one...I don't think they are mts...maybe some type of mud snail?

These seem to be growing, but I haven't let any get bigger than about 3mm.

Back
Top Bottom