A Horrific sight to be had

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmoney87

Aquarium Advice Freak
It was very late Friday night coming home from the bar with a bunch of friends. I had no real intention of paying any attention to my 75g planted aquarium. Some time goes by and eventually I notice out of the corner of my eye (the tank lights were not on at this time) one of my Bolivian Rams floating by as if it had no control or will to swim. At first I didn't think about it. I ended up taking a closer look and to my udder disbelieve I realized every single one of my fish was either belly up or laying motionless on the sandy floor. I began to panic and wondered what is the cause of this?? heater malfunction? nope the water was still a warm 81* I than looked over at my pH controller.. and it was reading 3.9 .. .. my fish could not breath!! My electronic solenoid connected to my Ph controller had failed to shut the flow of co2 off after the alarm had been triggered. I Immediately shut off the co2 at the tank and attached an additional bubble wand to my large air pump and cranked it open until the knobs almost came off... took the glass tops off my aquarium .. and prayed for the best .. after the first 10-15 minutes my fish showed no signs of recuperation and thats when I decided I needed to get as many as I could find and move them into my goldfish tank immediately. I ended up getting all my 4 Congo tets, my 3 Bolivian rams, a few aldolphoi Cory's, a couple Otto's, one long fin tetra and my male gourmai.. still MIA in the tank 1 BN albino pleco.. 2 clown loachs .. 10 HQ rasboras.. 8 cardinals 8 cherry barbs 6 ottos 6 rummy nose tets and 1 female dwarf gourmai.. after all the fish I could find and that barley were breathing were transferred to my goldfish tank I began a 60% water change on the 75g.. Keep in mind all of this is going on at 4 o'clock in the morning. I woke up later that day thinking it had all been a very bad dream.. it sure wasn't. Well gladly this story doesn't end with a broken heart and a head hung in failure. Every single one of my fish down to the smallest of my cardinals survived the ordeal. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong with the solenoid if it just got stuck open or really if it was that at all, but it is now working fine again. Although I do pay allot more attention to it now, even if the red blinking light is not on. I'm really just glad everything Ive worked so hard for wasn't all gone just like that..

-davE

That was a lot of quick work on your part! I have a solenoid running my CO2 system too. Those systems practically run themselves so I can see how easy it is to not montor them. Thanks to your story, I think we'll all be a little more watchful of our pH controller readings. I'm glad the fish are ok.

Lots of tetras, including neons, are found in very acidic water with a pH between 3.0-3.5. The pH shouldn't have changed the O2 levels of the tank much. The CO2 levels would have been high though.

Back
Top Bottom