A new fish I saw....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Question....

I can't remember what the LFS called them, but they have some new fish. They look exactly like a GBR, but are 3x as big. The ones thay have are about 3.5 inches, not including the tail. They called then an angel something I think. I'll go back tomorrow and ask again. They look so cool, but much larger than the GBR's, and just as colorful, if not more colorful. And I know they are not Balloon rams because they have those as well. Anyone seen these before? They are about 3x larger, and get even bigger than that.

Hmmm I wonder what it is, It could be a bolivian ram I know they get around 3 inches but bigger than that I would love to see a pic. That sounds pretty neat.

Definitely not Bolivian, lol. They look exactly like my GBR's, color, fin shape, etc. Just much larger scale.

Hmm, sounds interesting... Bigger is not necessarily better, but if they are heartier, that would be a big plus.

It's not the fins that are making them larger. It's the whole body. The body without the fins is about 3 inches. I'll get more info after work tonight.

Look forward to finding out what this fish is. How close did you look, they weren't Anomalochromis thomasiwere they?

why are they called german and bolivian rams, seeing as neither germany nor bolivia ever had any claims in south america?

hc8719 said:
why are they called german and bolivian rams, seeing as neither germany nor bolivia ever had any claims in south america?

German Blue Ram - Remember, this is the common name. Possibly due to being found and classified in 1948 by a German?

Bolivian Ram - Actually, these guys are native to Bolivia, not only the South American Continent.

hc8719 said:
nor bolivia ever had any claims in south america?
:? bolivia is in South America

bolivia.gif

and actually many germans migrated to parts of south america

oops, dunno how that happened. im real good at geography/geology too, brains not working right i guess, (gave blood today)

I went back to the lfs, and almost all of them were gone. There were a couple left that weren't looking so good, frayed tails. They just called them Large Rams. And they are a little more round than I thought. They said they are a ram that's been crossed with bolivians, as well as been genetically altered to get the larger fins like an angelfish. I'm not going to get any, as the ones they had left were poor-looking. They also had some Gold Rams as well, 2 males and a female. They were awsome looking, but I'm not putting any more money into the rams. They just don't last, and after the first eggs I had, which I had success with, haven't been able to duplicate my results. Keeping the 4 pairs I have still, and thinking of redoing my 75G for apistos.

Lonewolfblue said:
I'm not putting any more money into the rams. They just don't last.

How long to GBRs usually live for? I just got a pair adopted to me and they are really gorgeous fish. You seem to know alot about them.

The African Butterfly Cichlid looks ALOT like a blue ram. They eaisly get 3-4 inches. Thats prolly what you saw.

Back
Top Bottom