A poor betta...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackpearl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last night we were having dinner in a local chinese restaurant. When we went to the cashier to pay for our meal, I noticed they have a small glass bowl full of flowers, and water, and a small male betta inside!! The bowl is maybe less than 1 gallon, has a small opening to air, but with the flower stems and roots in the middle of the bowl, I dont think the betta is having enough space to swim, or enough air to breath :cry:
I guess people just assumed that since they are sold in small cups, thats ok to put bettas in small confined tank too.

Did you say anything to them about it? Sometimes speaking up does more than you would think.

This is a very popular way to sell bettas - sometimes florists carry this combo. The idea is that the roots of the plant provide food and oxygen ( :? ) and the fish provides the plant with nutrients. I beg to differ....

Well, we commented that the betta needs more space, and they say the betta's been there for at least 2 to 3 months and has been OK. We didnt comment anything further after that. Sometimes, the older chinese generation dont like to be criticized.

why pay 20$ for a stupid vase 5$ for the stupid plant and another 5 for the st... poor betta.. lol. when for 25$ you could probally get like a 3 gallon tank :)

Blackpearl said:
Sometimes, the older chinese generation dont like to be criticized.

I have seen many of those vases with the space under the plant for the fish when I worked in a craft store. I must confess that I felt tempted to buy one of those (I didn't know any better at that time!! :oops: ) because the setup was pretty. Fortunatelly I was too cheap to get them...

I am not chinese, but I find that to be a little bit of prejudice from your part. OLDER people, in general, don't like to be criticized, mainly by younger people, independent of being chinese, indian or american. :cry:
Also, from their point of view, the fish is fine, and telling them otherwise probably won't do anything.

It would be the equivalent of someone telling you that your doghouse isn't big enough for your dog, even though you think it is plenty good. But, if someone gives you a larger dog house, well, that is a little different. The only way I can see that situation changing is to show up there with a little bigger container for the fish (preferably one that won't hold a plant above it!!).

It is such a small cost for your piece of mind... :D

Well yes.. I guess I'm prejudiced :oops: I'm chinese. My grandpa especially, does not like to be corrected. I'm sorry if I offend anyone :oops:

I don't know for the other people here, but I wasn't offended, it was just an observation :lol: because sometimes it is hard to tell when someone mean it in a bad way or just joking around. I guess I am just a little sensitive because I am japanese and people used to call me all sorts of names when I was little... :cry:

My aunt works in an office and her boss has one of those betta vases, complete with plant and all. He told her he's had the fish for two years and he only feeds the thing once a month or so. She told him that didn't seem right and he chimed right in with the bit about how they supposedly eat the roots.

I told her he was misinformed. That bettas require more space and how they're carnivorous so they shouldn't be expected to live on roots alone.

I'm happy to say she passed along this information and he started feeding the poor thing more at least. Or maybe she was just saying that to ease my mind. lol

:new-bday:
That's for my hubby who has MTS in a big way - he just bought yet ANOTHER tank, a 5 gallon hex which is currently doing a fishless cycle before we find another beautiful betta to join our happy family.

Back
Top Bottom