A Question About Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 37-40 gallon tank. It is stocked now with 2 angelfish, 1 neon tetra, 1 cat fish, 1 algae eater, 1 otto I think that I barely ever see, 2 platies, 3 glowlight tetras and 1 annostomus cigar fish, and 2 painted glassfish. What I wanted to know was if I could add:

1 more neon tetra
1 red tailed black shark
either a pair of kissing gourmais or 2-4 dwarf gourmais,

and maybe a small school of tiger barbs(if not possible it wont break my heart), or maybe a few more tetras for a school, or maybe 1-2 mollies.(if none of this parts possible its ok. Or possibly a bigger fish if none of these smaller schools are possible.

Thank you for all your help, and please give me any advice on what you think I should do it would be greatly appreciated.

I'll need a little more info first. What kind of "catfish" and "algae eater" are they, and what kind of filtration do you got on there?

i ahve an ac 200. umm i think it is an albino cory cat , and some type of pleco, inm not sure whcih one, its kind of a mix between a gold nugget and a yellow prince tiger, and a gold banded one. im not exactly sure, the lfs just said pleco. and im pretty sure i have an Otocinclus Catfish too. i also have a bubble wall if that helps at all lol.

Ok, you are too low on filtration to be adding any more fish right now, get another ac150 or 200 and you'd be fine. Also know that your pleco is probably a common pleco which can grow to 2'. I advise you return it or find it a new home. And pink gourami would outgrow your tank so stick with dwarves. And I'd have to say no to the tiger barbs, they would most likley tear your angels fins apart.

i am pretty sure that painted glassfish are injected with dye to give them that colour, i think you should check up on that

well i learned that while i looked on this site. but i bought the like 1-2years ago, so there isnt much i can do. i wi9ll look into another filter. so wuld everything else be ok, the shark, another tetra, and how many dwarf gourmais. and maybe a mooly or two. thanks

k i just got another ac 150. will those fish b ok or not. also on an off topic question. What should i look for when buying a stand for my 15 gallon soon to be saltwater, i was going to build one , but im not handy so im gonna just buy one. any advice on that.

I would leave the Mollies out and add more tetras so they can school ~or~ add a few more cory cats, they like to be in groups. You don't need to have all the same kind--I have 4 species totaling 13 individuals in my 50 gal and they hang out in various groups. Even if it is a common pleco, it won't out grow your tank too soon. Maybe by the time it needs a new tank, you will be ready for a 100 gal aquarium :wink:
I have two dyed fish that I bought well over a year ago, before I knew better. Once they die, that's it--no more dyed fish for me.
As for the stand--shop around. That is a standard size and you should be able to find stands at WalMart, Petsmart, Petland, Big Al's or any LFS. A while back I was looking for a stand for a 20 gal and they were around $60 CAD.
Good luck!

If you add mollies, they will have fry like you wouldn't believe, so either be sure to have someone who will take the fry, or a fish to feed them too, I just finished getting the LFS to take all of mine (some 70 or more this time)...I should go change my siggy now...

I do LOVE watching my mollies, they are a wonderful pair, but as with any of the fish in that family (guppies, mollies & platies) you'll have more than you know what to do with in no time.

My mollies are also endless eaters and they eat algea in my tank, even when just an hour after being fed :) so it might cause a problem for your cory cat and pleco

k thanks for all the advice. maybe i will get a few tetras, a panda cory, the shark, and a couple dwarf gourmais. For the stand does it have to be real wood, or can it be that would that has like the laminate on it.

The stands I was looking at were metal. The wood ones will cost quite a bit more. Any stand designed for a 15 gal should hold the weight.

k so it also doent make a difference that it is altwater will, isnt saltwater a bit heavier?

i would strongly suggest you get a few more cories....i have 11 (4 dif types) in my tank and they are great.....but def get at least 3-4 in your tank. They really do like a group a lot more. Not to mention that they are absolutely ADORABLE at feeding time with algae wafers when you have several of them!

k this is what i was thinking:

1 red tailed blac kshark
1-4 tetras(maybe a few different kinds, at least one neon)
2-3 dwarf gourmais
and 1-2 more cory cats. I am not sure if mine is a cory cat, if it is it is at least 3 inches long maybe 2. 8it looks like this:
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=953

so i gues maybe it is. will the new ones be ok with the one big one.

Some cories get big--especially if you had had them for a couple of years. Tetras want to school and you should get the same kind since you are only getting a max of 4.

ok then what should i do about the corys. since i have the 3 different kinds of tetras and one neon what should i do. also is everything else ok.

Add in the cories--go to planetcatfish or liveaquaria.com and look for cories that stay smaller as adults.

Well, since you already have the tetras, just keep them. As they die off over the next few years, decide on the tetra you like best and a form a school from there.

Back
Top Bottom