a question for my mother and her goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
My mom has three "fancy" goldfish in a 30 gallon hex. She added some Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Algae Destroyer Advanced yesterday ( I try to dissuade her from using this stuff. I really don't think she sees the harm though) Anyway I noticed today that her fish have this clearish skin looking stuff pealing up from their body. From what I could see its mostly their head area. Also I tested her water and the nitrAtes are off the chart. (ammo/trItes=0) The fish were also just hanging out on the gravel and breathing hard. I helped her with a 50% water change and I added some melafix. Any idea of what this "skin" looking stuff is? its very thin and it comes off a bit if they swim around. I told her to increase her water changes to twice a week (here former schedule was 1 every two weeks) And to continue with the melafix for the next few days. Any other suggestions?

Very interesting. Thanks! I had a feeling it may be the slime coat. I will pass that article along to my mom.

Back
Top Bottom