A question on Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky 1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have slowly lowered my angel tank down to 23.5 from 26c ( 73.5 ) this should make them less aggressive and stop them laying, What temperature are you guys on and do you think it's ok

I think that 23.5 is fine but I would not go much lower than that. I keep my South American tanks around 27 in the summer and 26 in the winter.

Now, the real question, what do you mean, stop them from laying?

You've got a lot of angels in there for a tank of that size. Many people have issues with two or three angels, let alone five. This could be where some of the aggression is coming from. Do you know the genders of your fish?

That temperature seems a little on the low size of what many tropical fish prefer.

Also, as your angels get bigger, the neons may or may not become snacks. Just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think that 23.5 is fine but I would not go much lower than that. I keep my South American tanks around 27 in the summer and 26 in the winter.

Now, the real question, what do you mean, stop them from laying?
I'l answer both questions in one, I am hoping the lower temp will calm them down and stop them laying, they are too young yet, do you think that will work ? I have had 3 lots of eggs and they eat them after a while, some were fertile some went white,... I have 6 in for pairing up and then I can take others back, I have 2 pairs for now, the other 2 will go back for more dosh.....lol,

The biggest problem with keeping Angelfish under those conditions is going to be disease. They are a tropical fish and do best under tropical temp conditions. If you continue to keep them at that temp, be extra vigilant for fungal disease and parasites.

A better way ( IMO ;) ) is to keep them at the right temp and separate the genders to stop them from breeding. This can be done with an opaque divider in your main tank or in 2 separate tanks. Males tend to fight more when vying for breeding rights and protecting a breeding partner. By eliminating the breeding partner, just the hierarchy fights will happen and those tend to be short lived and non injurious. Once you are prepared to have them start spawning, you can put back the known pairs together ( in a separate tank from the other fish) and the odds are strongly in your favor that they will spawn together again. I have been doing just that for years. I don;t like my fish to breed until they are at least a year old so I separate any pair that tries to spawn and reintroduce them later.

Hope this helps (y)

Btw, Ive heard of the "Lower Temp= no breeding" idea, it works for a while at first, but, the animal adapts and its body assumes that the temps it is experiencing are the natural temps and so it adjusts its bodily functions according to the temps, eventually they will breed either way.

Btw, Ive heard of the "Lower Temp= no breeding" idea, it works for a while at first, but, the animal adapts and its body assumes that the temps it is experiencing are the natural temps and so it adjusts its bodily functions according to the temps, eventually they will breed either way.

I keep my Centrals at a base of 74 (23c) year round and in the summer the temp creeps up to 78-80 just based on the weather. I've notice no decreased aggression with the lower temp but I do get more and larger spawns with lower temps.

I keep my Centrals at a base of 74 (23c) year round and in the summer the temp creeps up to 78-80 just based on the weather. I've notice no decreased aggression with the lower temp but I do get more and larger spawns with lower temps.

Fish naturally will make larger spawns to make up for any offspring that are inevitably lost in colder temps.

I have slowly lowered my angel tank down to 23.5 from 26c ( 73.5 ) this should make them less aggressive and stop them laying, What temperature are you guys on and do you think it's ok

That's a beautiful tank btw! Im very jealous lol.

My problem is I only have a 5g hospital tank for now, we are moving soon so don't want to set another tank up, I know your right but I don't want them to breed yet, so it could work to lower the temp and feed less, the other fish seem fine, the neon's are quite big and they have all grown up together, They are in good condition, if lowering the temp is going to cause problems do you think I should increase it.....

My problem is I only have a 5g hospital tank for now, we are moving soon so don't want to set another tank up, I know your right but I don't want them to breed yet, so it could work to lower the temp and feed less, the other fish seem fine, the neon's are quite big and they have all grown up together, They are in good condition, if lowering the temp is going to cause problems do you think I should increase it.....

If you're gonna lower the temps, you should decrease the light hours as well (note that this will also decrease your plant growth), do not allow for there to be a safe, secluded area for them to breed (places behind plants, easily accessed rocks....make it difficult for them to breed. If possible, just sell the males and replce them with females. The females will "Pair up" and lay their eggs eventually, but they will not be fertile. good luck to you, and good job with that tank, it really just appeals to me for some reason lol.

Back
Top Bottom