A-sexual mollie?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarlilesiu

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so if you all remember correctly, a month or so ago, I had some new fry! Out of the four, two have survived and are large enough to be in the safe zone. I assumed they were sunburst platties being that the fry are yellowish orange in collor, and the only other fish I have that look like that is a yellow mollie. Well this leads to my quesiton. I came home this evening and while feeding I watch a new fry (tiny) attempting to outrun my American-flag fish. (dont worry he made it to the java moss in time). Then i started looking for more, and looked at my platties, they are a couple and always together. They looked normal. That is when the mollie caught my eye. She at this moment is in the middle of giving birth. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE! She is the only mollie in the tank and has been for some time now. You can see everything in my tank below. Are the platties and mollies close enough in species that the male plattie impregnated the mollie, or do I have an a-sexual mollie?? Any help on this, because it is baffling my mind, would be great.

How long have you had the mollie? I think (and this is a big I THINK) I read a few decades ago that mollies can store sperm packets for a LONG time. So if you haven't had her long, I'm afraid I have to break the news that your little girl isn't really a virgin.

Yes mollies are one of the fish where the female basicly only has to mate with a male once and from that single mating can have multple brew's of babies.

what about guppies? I think I have a female common guppy that does the same thing -> everyone once in a while, another baby!

Back
Top Bottom