A Single Tiny Fish Showed up in my Aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sockfootfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had this tank for about 3 months. I have 4 neon tetras, one x ray fish, one Molly, a pleco, and 3 guppys. I don't have any live plants and all of these fish have been here for months so it didn't sneak in the bag from the pet store!! Im confused. Does anyone know what this might be? I have pics on my iPhone but have no idea how to attach them from here! He is a little tiny grey guy. Pretty cute :)

Here are the pics!

Attachments

• image-4217088320.jpg
    image-4217088320.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 210
  • image-341050058.jpg
    image-341050058.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 192
The guppies could of had fry in the tank I would of sex the guppies. Thats what I think what happened they breed easily.

If you can put it in a holding tank of they sell a net box that goes in the tank. This way he is not food to the other fish. Good luck

The pet store told me they were all male... And they have really extravagant tails and colors could it really be their fry? Why is there only one?

Sockfootfrank said:
The pet store told me they were all male... And they have really extravagant tails and colors could it really be their fry? Why is there only one?

They could of sexed them wrong. Guppies eat their children all live bears do.

Aw I'm so excited he's adorable I named him alfred and I love him. He is in a separate bowl I have right now with a heater until I can get a breeder tank or whatever it is! Do you think it could be a neon tetra baby or are you fairly certain it's a guppy? Tetras lay eggs don't they? Sorry for all the dumb questions-- I'm new to aquariums.

The tetras do lay eggs. The baby looks like a guppy. I'm 98% sure :)

+ 1 for guppy. If you can post pictures of the ones you have we can probably tell you if they are all males or not. Guppies are pretty easy to sex. :)

Here's a blurry pic of the 3 guppies! Trying to get a better one too...

Attachments

• image-2294217842.jpg
    image-2294217842.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 145
This website is the best!! So helpful :) so happy I made an account I've been creeping it for months.

Sockfootfrank said:
Here's a blurry pic of the 3 guppies! Trying to get a better one too...

Those are all males
Tetra eggs need to be raised in darkness so I doubt it
I'm guessing you have a female Molly that held sperm

emerald76 said:
Those are all males
Tetra eggs need to be raised in darkness so I doubt it
I'm guessing you have a female Molly that held sperm

I've had my Molly for a few months now though! Would she hold the baby that long?

To me it looks a bit too chunky to be a guppy - more like a molly. If your molly is a female, that would be my guess. Note that the females of these fishes can store sperm, so can continue to produce young months after being fertilized by a male.

Tony

It was a Molly baby :) here's a pic of mom and baby now!

Attachments

• image-2877311243.jpg
    image-2877311243.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 104
Back
Top Bottom