A victory for the nieghbors tank,,,thanks to you guys.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As far as freshwater goes i'm pretty deep into the learning curve because of my own tank start up.I've been apostin and areadin and just learning all I can.

The wife suggested that I go by a neighbors house and check out the situation (about three weeks ago,maybe a little longer).The situation being that the fish kept dieing...feeling all helpful and fish minded off I went with my water changing bucket full of stuff.

When I got there I found a twenty gallon tank with one fish (glass cat) and a frog.Thats all that had managed to survive for this long.

Right away I noticed the tank temp was 66.They had a heater that was on,but not getting the water hot.I had my "ich buster" heater in the bucket so I gave it to em with instructions.

The ammonia tested at about six or seven ppm so I kicked off a 60% change right then with a good gravel clean...and I suggested they have never cycled thir tank and the road was a long one with fish (with instructions agian)

I stopped in today for other reasons and of coarse the fish came up.He had the test strips and an ammonia alert badge and thermometer that he could move to the sink to for water changes.I was impressed.This guy wanted his tank to work.

He said it was testing at 0 Am,0 Ni and 40 Na per his strips.I was doubtful and asked to see the test run.He did and the results were as he said.Still doubtful I suggested that I run home for my liquid kit and test agian.We did that at found the very same results.Cycled.No doubt.

Because the Am was so hi I had erroneously thought they were at the start of the cycle,but the tank wasn't new...just not very succsseful and I suppose that went a long way bacteria wise after the water was heated up.

I suggested a 50 % water change and adding some fish. (which they were going to get today anyway).

Long post a little longer...They added three neons and three other small tetras today....and they are on thier way to a better understanding of how to have a tank that thrives as opposed to the opposite.

Good for them i found you folks...and I recommended he start reading this site too...lol.

Cool, good job......... (y)

Probably the reason for the high readings of ammonia before was due to it not being cleaned and was filthy, with alot of buildup. Then after your PWC and thorough cleaning, there is more than enough bacteria to do the job when properly maintained. All the rotting food in the gravel was probably giving off all the excess ammonia that the bacteria just couldn't keep up with. But sounds like they are off to a much better start now. Again, good job. :)

Sharing is infectious and you are the proof of that. Sharing the knowledge with others and being successful with it is probably one of the more satisfying aspects of this hobby. Nice job and thanks for sharing your story.

Back
Top Bottom