A Warning to Take Care with Aquarium Decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
We almost lost Lady, our fancy goldfish, today, due to an accident with a piece of aquarium decor (pictures below). Lady got into this castle and got stuck inside it in a small circular chamber. Obviously, this piece was meant for smaller fish and frogs. Thank God my son noticed that Lady wasn't swimming around the tank - we practically dug the whole aquarium out before we found him in the castle. At first we thought he had died, but then he started moving, and we spent about 10 minutes trying to help him navigate his way back out of the castle. He finally swam out, barely managing to squeeze himself through one of the holes. He lost two scales in the process (anyone have any recommendations about lost or torn scales? Do I need to medicate Lady?). I just wanted to share this as a gentle warning that it's important to think of our fishes' safety when it comes to aquascaping before we think of decor and what looks nifty. I didn't do that well enough, obviously. It never occurred to me that Lady would have managed to get into that castle - I thought the entrances were far too small for him. I was totally wrong and underestimated my fish's curiosity.

I am definitely rethinking how I keep my tanks. This prompts me to think about dabbling in live plants sooner than later. Yesterday, we lost our betta, Charles, because he got wedged in between two very stiff "branches" on a plastic plant. If it had been a real plant, Charles would have been fine. Believe me, I'm not throwing stones or trying to be a know-it-all. I have just learned - very abruptly - that items made for fish are not necessarily safe for them, and that it's good to really look closely at the items we're considering for our tanks and see if there is any potential danger.

Lady seems to be just fine and is acting like his normal self - I'm just concerned about the torn scales. Pictures 1-3 are of the small space that Lady squeezed through to get into the castle, and picture 4 is the area that he was wedged into when we found him.

Attachments

• Jan 2010 - Castle - 01-20-10 - 03.jpg
    Jan 2010 - Castle - 01-20-10 - 03.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Jan 2010 - Castle - 01-20-10 - 04.jpg
    Jan 2010 - Castle - 01-20-10 - 04.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Jan 2010 - Castle - 01-30-10.jpg
    Jan 2010 - Castle - 01-30-10.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Jan 2010 - Cast;le - 01-30-2010 - 02.jpg
    Jan 2010 - Cast;le - 01-30-2010 - 02.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 153
This is one of the many reasons that i prefer to use natural stuff. Rocks, clay pots, real driftwood, things like that. Along with having your fish get caught in there, that is also a great place for uneaten food and detrius to build up. I am glad to hear that your fish is ok :)

A long time ago I had a seashell in my 10g at one time and it got broken some and a danio got caught in one of the holes and died :bawl:

Glad to hear that Lady is OK. Losing a couple scales is not too bad. Just keep the water clean & keep an eye on it. Some people like to add a bit of salt to prevent infection, but if there isn't an extensive area of loss scales or open wound, this is prob not necessary.

It is important to check all your decors for sharp edges & crevices with fancy goldfish. Their long fins can get caught & torn. Also, their egg shaped body means they can't negotiate narrow passages well. Another thing to watch for is substrate that can get lodged in their throat. Goldies mouth the gravel/sand looking for food. Sometimes a rock will get lodged in the throat & cause problems. It is best to have substrate that is either fine (like sand) or too large to fit in the mouth (1/2" & up), and nothing with sharp edges.

I am glad to hear that Lady is OK as well! I had a similar situation that happened to my Oranda Goldfish named Yoshi. He was a curious little guy who had a bunch of personality. His curiosity was so strong he swam down the bubble tube inside my old Biorb tank. I came home from work one day and just saw him in there still alive! I had to take a picture before I freed him. But this fish did that 2 more times until I finally covered that tube with some mesh...LOL He continued to live for about 2 years after those incidents.

Behold, Yoshi and his curiosity.. look where it got him:

img_1071195_0_047f3e876e37cf85afb52a7b1092e054.jpg

WOW! Glad your guy is okay!!!
The only problem I have had is my loaches trying to swim up the vacuum tube when I am vacuuming the tank. I have to pay attention 100% of the time! Oh, and the whole silicone issue I had.
I think this is a great thread, and I hope people keep adding advice/incidents so other people can see this and think about their decor. :)

Back
Top Bottom