Abandoned 10G, Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoobcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok so my very first tank was a 10G. I have since upgraded to a 30G as I figured that would be easier to learn on VS my 10G. Well when I moved to the 30G my 10 was not yet cycled and I just kind of abandoned it. havent checked water parameters regularly, havent done any PWCs, nothing. the tank has been running around 2 months and is somewhere around 1/8 low via evaporation. I checked water parameters today and they read:

Ammonia=0-.25ppm, Nitrites=off the charts high, Nitrates=off the charts high.

I would like to either have this set up as a quarantine tank or maybe stock it I havent decided yet. Either way I'd like to stablize it. Should I change the water out entirely and if so should I dose ammonia to feed the BB? with nitrites and nitrates so high there has to be some BB established right?

Also could I swish my filter media from the 10 around in my 30 to maybe help it finish cycling faster? Thoughts?

Thanks guys and gals! :)

Stick the filter from your 10gal on your 30gal until you decide what you want to do with the 10gal. Or, you can continue a fishless cycle on 10gal. If you want to continue to cycle the 10, do a big pwc to reduce nitrites & re-establish the buffers, then dose it to 4ppm daily & monitor whats going on as you would for any fishless cycle. When the amm/nitrites zero out steadily, do a big pwc to reduce the nitrates to less 20ppm & its ready to stock! Your choice!

Back
Top Bottom