about adding algae eaters . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiona Mona

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have a relatively new tank set up . . since August. When should I add a Algae eater to tank?

I have 2 Blood Parrots. 1 Bolivian ram. 4 Congo Tetras. 3 Cory Cats.

Thanks.

Fio...

You already have Corydoras. They're efficient algae eaters.

B

Fill out you're Cory shoal first, especially if they are all the same type. Cory's prefer groups of 6 or more, although they will not eat much algae. If there's stocking room left in the tank a group of Oto's are really good at algae removal.

Fill out you're Cory shoal first, especially if they are all the same type. Cory's prefer groups of 6 or more, although they will not eat much algae. If there's stocking room left in the tank a group of Oto's are really good at algae removal.

Agreed. Corys love to feel comfortable with a decent shoal of at least 6. They will explore more, and be less startled when walking around/making noise, etc.

They DO NOT eat algae. I believe they eat a bit of detritus. They are a decent clean up crew but be sure to feed them their own food regularly, scraps are not enough and are often not available to them until the extra food is rotting away(like flake food.)

Ottos would be a good idea but expect to lose some a few weeks after purchase. They have a much smaller bio load compared to say BN plecos.(even with two plecos, 6 ottos may even have a smaller bioload than the two plecos., MAYBE, but you get my point.) They also need to be kept with at least 6 others, just like corys. Corys and ottos are also VERY compatible species. When I started out, I had 3 ottos and 3 corys, and both species kept together for extra comfort and safety.

Keep in mind, algae eaters are not a good solution for algae control. They tend to only eat specific kinds. Snails are probably the best. I would also note Siamese algae eaters would probably be the best preventative measure, especially if you have snails to eat the slime. SAE I believe eat filamentous algae which is the real PITA. They probably won't go well with your stock though. Sorry if I sound like a broken record, just throwing this stuff out there.

Hi I have a relatively new tank set up . . since August. When should I add a Algae eater to tank?

I have 2 Blood Parrots. 1 Bolivian ram. 4 Congo Tetras. 3 Cory Cats.

Thanks.

What kind of algae eaters were you planning to add? It does matter. Haha

Cories don't eat Algae.

My favorites are Nerite Snails.

How large is the tank ? Profile says 55g. Nice size.

Control Algae by using a timer on your lights.

For planted tanks I usually run lights 6-8hrs a day ( without injected CO2)

Make sure you aren't using too strong a light. Make sure sun isn't hitting tank.

Don't overfeed.

Weekly PWCs and keep water quality pristine.

My tanks only get Algae if something is out of balance. Mine are all planted, but this advice still works for non planted.

Only add Algae Eaters if you like them and have room and you plan to feed them. Most only eat soft new Algae.

Some Plecos require wood and some eat meat.

Back
Top Bottom