About changing filter media..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just something i was wondering, how do you replace filter media in your tank?
I assume if the filter houses several spounges you just replace them one by one, allowing bacteria to accumulate on the new one, then change the next..and so on. But what if the filter only has one sponge? surely you cant just whip it out and replace it with a brand new one?

How oftern would you recommend replacing the media?

Also, what happens if you dont replace it? What are the effects on the tank?
Thanks.

You don't replace the sponge. Just put some tank water in a bucket and gently rinse out the sponge, and put it back in. Only replace the sponge when it get's too nasty.

Oh right, i thought you were supposed to replace them, i thought i read that somewhere, guess it was some company trying to sell more of their product!

Nope, do not replace the sponges until they fall apart. I also do not replace the media at all until the pad falls apart. Rinse it in dechlorinated water or old tank water.

elliott_001 said:
Oh right, i thought you were supposed to replace them, i thought i read that somewhere, guess it was some company trying to sell more of their product!

You probably did read it...and you are right....companies don't sell as many sponges if they allow to to believe that they can be rinsed and used again.....heck, I have sponges in some of my filters that are celebrating their 6th or 7th anniversaries. :lol:

hi again...

Toirtis said:
elliott_001 said:

You probably did read it...and you are right....companies don't sell as many sponges if they allow to to believe that they can be rinsed and used again.....heck, I have sponges in some of my filters that are celebrating their 6th or 7th anniversaries. :lol:

When I got my XP3, I also got an extra box of each sponge and the fine floss. May not even use them for 10 years, but at least I have spares in case of emergency. They are in their original box, sitting next to my filter. :)

Back
Top Bottom