about to move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randy86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay guys so I am active duty army and have gotten the news that I have orders to move to ft Carson Colorado. So the question is what is the easiest way to transport my fish over the 9 hour drive. I can't leave them behind as I have invested so much time into getting them to where they are! So any suggestions?

I guess its the same as ordering online and waiting on them for 2 days. Buy u some good fish bags and put alot of air in them. Pack them in boxes to minimize them being tossed all over the place. Put ur filter media in one with water too!!! Put your gravel in a 5 gallon bucket covering it with tank water.

Yeah i have that much down pat but what kind if air do I need to use. I have hear that filling the bags with co2 is the best bet. But here the catch my Oscar and jack dempsey are too big for bags so what do I do with them?

randy86 said:
Yeah i have that much down pat but what kind if air do I need to use. I have hear that filling the bags with co2 is the best bet. But here the catch my Oscar and jack dempsey are too big for bags so what do I do with them?

I would use my air pump unhook it from the decoration and put the end in the bag and let it fill it up. You can order very large fish bags online.

Awsome that actually sounds like a good plan I never thought about that. As for the bags though i am adrift that they will throw a fit and bite throught them. I was thinkimg about buckets but can't think of a way to air seal them!

randy86 said:
Awsome that actually sounds like a good plan I never thought about that. As for the bags though i am adrift that they will throw a fit and bite throught them. I was thinkimg about buckets but can't think of a way to air seal them!

Ill see if I can find that website for the bags. They make them very thick so I doubt they'd bite thru.

Here's what you can do.

With one tank, buy at least 2 five gallon buckets and a battery powered air pump w air stone. Multiply that by the number of tanks if you have more than one.

Once you're ready to move...

1) Siphon some of the fish water into the two buckets. For smaller tanks, you'll probably need to add some declorinated tap water.

2) Put the decorations and plants in one of the buckets.

3) Net the fish into the second bucket. Maybe put some floating plants in with them.

4) Siphon most of the rest of the water out until you only have about an inch or two above the gravel. You can siphon it off to fill the two buckets, then put the remaining in another container to discard or take with you.

5) Rinse off the filter media in some of the leftover siphoned tank water, then put it in the plant bucket (or a bucket of its own). You need to keep it wet to preserve the bacteria colony.

6) Put the air stone in the fish tank and turn on the battery operated air pump.

7) Put the lids on the buckets and you're good to go.

I haven't found one yet, but it might not be a bad idea to find a battery powered heater (if it exists) to keep the fish warm enough. If you find one, let me and the rest of the message board know.

randy86 said:

In buckets they may get hurt being sloshed around and all that

That would be great if you can. Tba.k you for your help

Okay so for the batter powered heater no luck there but if you google it there are things that teach you how to get around it and how to make your own. As for the battery powered air pump i think that is a great idea and will probably go with that for now

randy86 said:
Okay so for the batter powered heater no luck there but if you google it there are things that teach you how to get around it and how to make your own. As for the battery powered air pump i think that is a great idea and will probably go with that for now

U can get those air pumps cheap in Walmart in the sporting section. U can buy those heat packs that'll stay hot for 72 hrs.

Yeahvi think.that they will work great gor my big guys and as for my little guys i can put them.together. I am having to move six seperate tanka and 40 plus fish so between bags and bucket I think.I will be set to go

randy86 said:
Yeahvi think.that they will work great gor my big guys and as for my little guys i can put them.together. I am having to move six seperate tanka and 40 plus fish so between bags and bucket I think.I will be set to go

Wow. I've got 2 big oscars. So ur gonna order some bags

Yeah I am going to have to I think it will be the most stress free way to move ny smaller fish

randy86 said:
Yeah I am going to have to I think it will be the most stress free way to move ny smaller fish

That's the way id go. What's the biggest tank you have?

Yeah I am originally from pensacola Florida on the gulf coast and hoping that when I retire I am wanting to build a 500 gallon salt water reef tank but what's that old saying ....... Never hurts to dream lol

To be honest I plan on buying mother one when I get thee but I am going to put mine in our bumper pull camper trailor and hope that it makes it. I plan on securing it pretty good. I would be sick if I busted it. I have put a ton of work into that tank. On the other hand i can let the army move it and if it breaks then they will have to buy the new one but then i.am out a tank so it turns in to a darned if you do and darned if you don't

Back
Top Bottom