About to pick up a tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hovoc

Aquarium Advice Activist
IM about to head out to pick up a tank from someone near by, the tank holds water currently.

My question is, once I drain the tank, how long can the bacteria stay alive on the substate and filter?

Make sure that you either:
1. Remove the substrate and keep it moist
2. Brace the middle/center of the tank when you move it, because substrate in the tank while moving will cause stress to the glass

well i picked it up, found out that it was home to one fish for 15 years.

now my question changes to resealing this thing. is it safe to just apply new sealant over top the old?

nope you need to take one corner at a side and use a razor to carefully remove the old sealent then apply new sealent and let dry for 24 hours before moving to the next side and trim, the sealent reaches its highest holding strength after a week

tropicfishman said:
nope you need to take one corner at a side and use a razor to carefully remove the old sealent then apply new sealent and let dry for 24 hours before moving to the next side and trim, the sealent reaches its highest holding strength after a week

wow that bites...

Back
Top Bottom