About to take on some Killifish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbib1089

Aquarium Advice Activist
As the title states, I'm about to dive into the world of Killifish. I have done a bunch of research but it is always good to get some tips from anyone with experience.

I'm going to be getting some Rachovii Beira 98 eggs with some brine shrimp eggs to feed them.

Here is a picture of the Killi

Attachments

• fwkillifishe1350649081.jpg
    fwkillifishe1350649081.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 81
It's a beaut! I had some similar.. they're easy to care for just don't always play nice with others

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, be careful... I once had a pair of Gardneri Killis that managed to kill 5 fish overnight.

Mine just ate the tails off most if the fish in the tank.. nasty Lil monsters..

I'm planning on just keeping the killies by themselves so I shouldn't run into too many issues there

Oh yah.. they should be fine in a species only setup.. they are jumpers though, you'll want a good lid, floating plants or drop the water level a bit..they should also get blood worms a couple times a week

Sounds good. I'll get a thread going to document the process. I usually feed my fish a variety of new life spectrum, bloodworms, tubifex, and brine shrimp.

Do you have any experience with hatching and breeding annual killies? Annuals live a short natural life so if it is a fish that you would like to have around for a while you'll have to breed them or buy more later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've kept sparkling panchax before and I enjoyed them. They were hardy and a unique addition to my tank.

This is going to be my first attempt with killies. I know that they are annuals but I probably won't try breeding them this first time around. I've watched as many YouTube videos as I can find about hatching them and I've read a bunch of different sites online about hatching as well.

I had no intention of breeding mine, had some java moss in the tank and they just did their thing.. I had even moved a clump to a different tank and low and behold a mystery fr, which turned out to be a killi of course.. i guess you can dry the eggs and rehydrate at a later date to hatch.. pretty cool stuff..

Back
Top Bottom