Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Absolute aquarium hell.

So like 3 weeks ago my dual bulb flourescent light strip went out on my 55 gallon planted. I bought it at petsmart about a year ago and it wasnt too deep from front to back so it fit EXACTLY on the cheapy plastic hood that came with the aquarium.

So I put the two smaller hoods on while I find another one...the catch no place in the entire Chicagoland area sells the two bulb 48" flourescents. I wen't everywhere. Oh everyplace said they could order one for me...anywhere from $120 to $150...I paid $89 for one a year ago.

So after like 2 weeks of wild goose chases I decide for the sake of my dwindling plant population I'll just order one from Foster Smith.

I have them ship it express 2 to 4 days and also order some driftwood. The driftwood comes the next day and the tracking number they have given to me for the seperate package containing the light is only showing the tracking info is entered...4 days later (two of which were weekend days) still no activity on this tracking number. After getting a different answer from 5 seperate employees on 5 seperate calls they realize they never sent it....

So they next day it to me. I open it up tonight. Finally, I can give my plants decent lighting again. Well the housing is wider than the original light and hangs over the back of the tank tops. I figure what the hell...I'll run to the store and get some all glass tops.

Two stores later I bring home the tops and try them on only to find out they dont fit on my tank...they're 24 inch tops, worked on the 55 gallon in the store (I figured with my luck I needed to check) but my tank openings aren't 24" they're 23" !!?@>@!##&($%&T!^#$!&*

So do I bring them back and hope water doesnt get in the fixture or cut the glass down and risk breaking it and not being able to get my $45 back...I'm ready to throw the **** tank through the wall.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Take them back. Go to a window place or a hard ware store and have the glass cut for you.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you buy 2 separate 24" glass tops (the ones that are made for a 20H), or did you buy a package specifically for the 55 gallon that included 2 glass tops? I'm not sure that there is any difference, but maybe there is since the 55 gallon Versa Top package would take into account the support in the middle of the tank.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its two seperate 24" glass tops. Non of the packages say tank gallon size just inches so I opened one at the store and tried it on their 55 gallon there and it fit loosely.

It doesnt fit mine though.

If I have a glass place cut it what do I do for the hinge and all that? and the plastic backing etc.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
They sell those pieces online. I beleive the Doctors carry them, though you have just had a bad experience with them. I find them to be an excellent online retailer.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I ordered the parts...I looked everywhere and all 24" or 55 gallon glass tops measure at 23 3/16. I would actually need a 22 7/8" glass because my frame ID is 23". So I don't have any choice but to have one cut.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had the same thing, pretty much. I have a TopFin 55gal tank, and bought two 24" All-Glass tops, and they were about a half inch too long. I don't know if it's because of different brands, but that was my assumption...

I had a hardware store cut the glass, and then just sawed off the little bit of hinge that was sticking out. It's not pretty, but it works ok.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I took mine to a hardware store and they said they couldnt cut it because of the hinges....so I'm going to just have them cut me pieces of glass. I ordered the hinges and back strip from Foster and Smith as suggested.

One thing though...is the hinge just held on by friction on the plastic or does some sealant need to be added to the inside of the hinge before inserting glass?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

No sealant is needed.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Man I had quite a rant...haha.

I was so frustrated.

I went and had glass cut at Ace, only cost $7...took forever though because the 60 year old guy thought 22 7/8"x6 1/2" meant 6 and a half feet? and was lost in the back for 20 minutes looking for 6 ft panes of glass.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
thast why ya measure these things before you leave or order lol
Old 10-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The websites do not give exact measurements. I went through the entire ordeal when I was trying to find hoods for our 55 gal tank. The sites just say 24x13 or similar. Measuring will not help if you don't know the manufacturer of the tank.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com