Ac50 filter foam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorkevin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I remember someone saying a few months ago that I shouldn't use the carbon insert as I only helps with the smell of the water or something and if I am using meds they won't work as the carbon kills them. Also I should replace it with more foam. Am I remembering correctly?

Yes and no. You don't HAVE to replace them if you don't want. They are thicker and provide more filtration and bb surface area. The "stock" inserts are good enough as well, the carbon loses its ability after a few weeks and just sits there with no harm done. If you do wanna replace them then you get the AC foam and wedge it in from of your other pad inserts for a minimum of 2 weeks so the bb can colonize on the AC foam and then later remove the inserts if you would like.

I bought a another ac50 foam today. I have had the filter for about 3 weeks. So I need to remove the carbon and add the other ac foam? So I will have 2 foams and the bio max

I bought a another ac50 foam today. I have had the filter for about 3 weeks. So I need to remove the carbon and add the other ac foam? So I will have 2 foams and the bio max

Instead of more foam, just remove the carbon and add polyfill to polish your water. That's what I do with AC filters and be careful because the biomax will clog up after about 6 months if not properly maintained

This is your best advice-floss instead of carbon and lots of duct tape

Instead of more foam, just remove the carbon and add polyfill to polish your water. That's what I do with AC filters and be careful because the biomax will clog up after about 6 months if not properly maintained
I hate my aquaclear 50 due to: 1) the bypass issues and the fact you have to use floss to get polished water 2) that goofy basket is a real ""pain" to load and 3) the "basket" is a total mess ..... you need duct tape to get it to work right, and trying to put Seachem Purigen in it is a disaster. Carbon is worthless except for removing medications. It is made soley to put $$ in manufacturers pocket.

Fluval C series are so much better:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/second-hob-filter-ideas-298974.html

Back
Top Bottom