AC70 AND Penguin 200 on a 29?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xandernfs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just a quick question....would this be too much water movement? I know you can never have too much filtration. This would turn the tank over about 17x an hour. I'm not planning on overstocking at all, but I always like to have two filters when I can and these aren't that expensive.

It really depends on the fish you want to keep, some fish love the higher flow. Others, can't thrive with it. But you're right, more filtration for the most part equals cleaner water.

It really depends on the fish you want to keep.

So true! I have three goldfish in a 60 gallon turning over 13 times an hour. They don't care at all haha.

I had a betta fish once in a 25 gallon turning over 5 times an hour and it was too much! Had to put the betta back in the 5 gallon.

Goldfish are decendants of river fish though. Bettas are puddle or rice paddy fish. So, just think about the fish's natural environment and then make the correct judgement.

You also have to remember that an excessive amount of bacteria media is a waste if you don't have enough ammonia and nitrite being produced to keep the colony population up! Something else to consider~

Thanks for the replies. I plan on keeping just tropical community fish.

you're welcome. Look into what fish you want the most, and build your stock around that species. Again, some community fish love higher water current, while others can't stand it. At least with the AC, you can adjust the flow, I don't use Penguins, so I can't comment on that one.

I have an AC 50 and an AC 20 on a 20-long, and I have to dial-back the flow of the 50 to keep the neons from getting too disturbed. You may have to scale down the flow of those two even more, unless you've got fish that like a strong current.

Back
Top Bottom