Accidental fish in cycle. [My journey]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool. Just wanted to debunk the myth that nitrifying bacteria establishes in your substrate and shouldn't be cleaned as well as that water changes are detrimental to cycling. If that was a widely held belief, it would lead to a lot more dead fish during cycling.

If you're up for it, 75% pwc sounds good. As long as the water is conditioned, somewhat closely temp matched and pH isn't significantly different than what's in the aquarium.....you can do 10x 90% changes in a row and it's just going to be good for the fish :)

You know what you're doing....I'm just speaking generally.

Oh no, I'm learning what to do, but I would not say I'm knowledgeable yet. I'm determined to get there though. I'm totally happy to take any advice given to me. Even when I don't agree with advice, or if it seems to contradict everything else, I don't get snippy or rude. I'm not a confrontational person, so give any advice you care to give!

I'm home all day today, so I think I'll go ahead and do 75% wc, give myself a little time to recover, then test the water and repeat if needed. Which it probably will be.

Hmmm I wonder if I can blackmail one of my brothers to come and help.......or bribery.....or threats....lol.

And I agree that WCs are obviously good for the fish. Several fish in the 65g were pale and twitchy last night. After that WC, everyone is colored back up and happily swimming. It made a big difference in their behavior!

Oh really! I'm not sure what the conversions are from gallons to litres but I'm pretty sure both my tanks would be under 10g? That might be why I've struggled to cycle them!

Looks like one is a little over 10g and one is around 13g. Should be good. But from what I've read, the bigger tanks cycle easier, not sure if that's correct, someone more in the know might be able to say one way or the other.

A 10 gallon can be cycled just like any other aquarium, it's just the math of amount of nitrifying bacteria as it relates to the amount of waste being produced.

Problem with smaller tanks is there's much less room for error, and when something goes bad it goes bad FAST in a smaller tank.

For example, if a fish dies, starts decaying and you don't find him in a 55 gallon tank, the amount of toxin its producing in a larger tank doesn't have the same immediate impact as if it happened in a significantly smaller body of water.

Looks like one is a little over 10g and one is around 13g. Should be good. But from what I've read, the bigger tanks cycle easier, not sure if that's correct, someone more in the know might be able to say one way or the other.

Ahh thanks! That's good to know, is it US gallons that everyone is referring to? I'm assuming not imperial gallons? Sorry if that is a really stupid question!

That might be true, I have heard similar things! I should be getting a bigger tank soon. Especially as my mollies are having babies like no tomorrow! Already had one who has had some fry and two are currently looking boxy!

I think so....I'd assume it's us gallons, but I don't know what the difference is between imperial or us. Lol. Sorry!

Ahh yes, my 36 g is my molly tank. Such lovely fish!

Agreed! We shall beat this together! Good luck to you! Where are you at with your levels and such?

Keep it up you're almost there. Here's what mine looked like during the swamp phase: https://youtu.be/lr8XOh1tMpg

And afterwards: https://youtu.be/HAP64DPZy8s

And to the guy who's freaking pulling his hair out about me mentioning not to syphon your substrate...I'm talking about don't overdo siphoning every single inch or mm. Definitely do the top side for sure.

Image1489868008.503685.jpgImage1489868031.184213.jpg

Well, no ammonia, but very high nitrites. Water is draining now. I gravel vacced thoroughly yesterday, so just doing a volume water change for now.

Keep it up you're almost there. Here's what mine looked like during the swamp phase: https://youtu.be/lr8XOh1tMpg

And afterwards: https://youtu.be/HAP64DPZy8s

And to the guy who's freaking pulling his hair out about me mentioning not to syphon your substrate...I'm talking about don't overdo siphoning every single inch or mm. Definitely do the top side for sure.

If by "pulling my hair out" you mean debunking your reckless, incorrect and irresponsible advice of not doing big water changes because they impact cycling (you advised 20% every 4-5 days which = dead fish), and your scientifically false belief (which you're passing onto others) that over-cleaning your substrate is detrimental since "that's where most of the good bacteria lies". ...then yes, I guess I'm pulling my hair out.

I don't mean to be rude or confrontational, I simply ask that you understand the science behind the nitrogen cycle and aquarium keeping before you pass on advice which is simply false at best and dangerous at worst.

If you're not sure of the advice you're giving, don't share it. You're of course more than welcome to share your experiences, but when you basically provide a to-do list of things which are scientifically false.... that's irresponsible and detrimental to the hobby.

You're still pulling you're hair out of your head at this point...jeez what a nerd I'm outtaa herees

Well ladies and gentlemen. If we're done now.

75% on the 36g took forever...because I spilled about 2g of water. On my wood floors. And had to clean it up. Boy oh boy that was fun.
Image1489872407.970024.jpg

Also caught-
Image1489872444.537250.jpg

Added the food so they'd come out of their shells. Three!!!! Grrr. I'd only seen two before so I'd bet there's more.

Well ladies and gentlemen. If we're done now.

75% on the 36g took forever...because I spilled about 2g of water. On my wood floors. And had to clean it up. Boy oh boy that was fun.
View attachment 296451

Also caught-
View attachment 296452

Added the food so they'd come out of their shells. Three!!!! Grrr. I'd only seen two before so I'd bet there's more.

We've all been there, I flooded an area of my lounge carpet once.. oops? Haha :)
Also what are those snails? I caught two of those in my tank and removed them.. the little hitchhikers took a ride into my tank via the plants!

Pond snails I think. They arrived via plants for me too! Lol. Aggravating little buggers.

Yep my favorite snails. Put them back. In 3 weeks youll have diatoms.

Back
Top Bottom