Accidentally swallowed tank water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My throat feels weird now. Has anyone ever gotten sick like that?

How much did you swallow? Was it treated water i.e. medicated? Just used any type of additive?

EDIT:

After looking through my EMT books and medic apps on my phone. lol nothing for fish tank water but they did have something for turtle tanks. Yours was just fish so....

Brush your teeth, mouth wash and drink some milk... You'll be fine.

Last edited:
Hahah I wouldn't worry, I start my siphons for drip acclimation with my mouth and I've accidentally swallowed tank water a few time haha, I'm still kickin'. Unless you had some sort of ich medication in the tank I wouldn't worry, but if you're really freaking out look through all your labels on whatever you put in the tank and see what the warnings are

I've done the same thing, can't say how much I actually swallowed, more like inhaled it but some may have snuck down my gagging throat... I was fine. :)

This thread made me seriously crack up, and now it's continuing to make me laugh since I'm sure a whole bunch of us has done this

I have done this many times, one time I was starting the suction with my hose and got some in my mouth, I choked on it and it came out my nose! It was disgusting, I sneezed every five to ten minutes for like an hour. I never want to do that again. Oddly enough I'm still alive so I'm sure you'll be alright.

Lol it's probably in my head. FTR the was no meds in it. Just high nitrites.

butterfly_koi said:
I have done this many times, one time I was starting the suction with my hose and got some in my mouth, I choked on it and it came out my nose! It was disgusting, I sneezed every five to ten minutes for like an hour. I never want to do that again. Oddly enough I'm still alive so I'm sure you'll be alright.

Hahahaha

Lol it's probably in my head. FTR the was no meds in it. Just high nitrites.

I'm sure you're okay, you could try eating some of seachem's De-nitrate or swallow some watermelon seeds since plants will lower your tummy-trates hahaha. ***For the record I am kidding, these are not good ideas and would probably kill you***

Zimmanski said:
I'm sure you're okay, you could try eating some of seachem's De-nitrate or swallow some watermelon seeds since plants will lower your tummy-trates hahaha. ***For the record I am kidding, these are not good ideas and would probably kill you***

Haha that immediately raised my left eyebrow.

Oh man, high trate water?! I'm sorry to say that you are going to die for sure :(. J/K, I've been swallowing the stuff for 20 some years now, and I'm still alive and kicking (maybe not very hard any more), so I'm sure you will be fine.

Wy Renegade said:
Oh man, high trate water?! I'm sorry to say that you are going to die for sure :(. J/K, I've been swallowing the stuff for 20 some years now, and I'm still alive and kicking (maybe not very hard any more), so I'm sure you will be fine.

Lol thanks!

Ever swallowed water swimming in a pond or in the ocean? I wouldn't stress out -- the body can handle some weird things.

Lmao i. Did that so many times !! Besides the bad taste i dont think there are any side effects haha or id be dead for sure by now ;D

One thing you can do with the syphon is scoop up some water, plug the other end with your thumb and let it almost drain out. Then just stick the other end back in the tank, release your thumb, and let the water do the work. No need to suck on those nasty tubes anymore.

This seriously made me crack up!!!

This thread has me rolling. Go back and just start reading the comments over and over again. I was in tears.

Donkey Gun said:
One thing you can do with the syphon is scoop up some water, plug the other end with your thumb and let it almost drain out. Then just stick the other end back in the tank, release your thumb, and let the water do the work. No need to suck on those nasty tubes anymore.

I've tried this soooo many times and this far have been unsuccessful. [moderator edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm.... First thing I would do is go buy a siphon with the squeeze ball to start suction automatically, or invest in one of those fancy python hoses. Lol

But honestly, probably wouldnt worry too much, Ive done it too (and then went immediately to the store nd bought a siphon with a squeeze ball starter) haha! Im still kickin pretty good. :)

Kimlafeiet said:
Hmmm.... First thing I would do is go buy a siphon with the squeeze ball to start suction automatically, or invest in one of those fancy python hoses. Lol

But honestly, probably wouldnt worry too much, Ive done it too (and then went immediately to the store nd bought a siphon with a squeeze ball starter) haha! Im still kickin pretty good. :)

I love my pythons are a great option for bigger tanks.

Back
Top Bottom