Accidently discovered a way to get rid of snails hehe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fluffyntex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been trying the lettuce and not having much luck. I put some Duckweed in my tank yesterday and this morning when I turned on the light, every little duckweed plant had a baby snail hanging on it lol. I grabbed a bowl and just started picking them out, was real easy and got I would say 90% of the snails that were in there out. Hopefully tomorrow morning I can get the rest of them. :p

Last edited:
LOL! I know. Thats what happened to all my duckweed and watersprite when I was away on vacation. The snails (Ramhorns) ate every last bit.

LOL! I know. Thats what happened to all my duckweed and watersprite when I was away on vacation. The snails (Ramhorns) ate every last bit.

That's what these are, Ramshorn. Hopefully I can get them all out before they eat it all hehe.

Ramshorns do not eat healthy plants. I have them all over my tanks they do not hurt anything. I rather like them. They are a wonderful indicator of overfeeding. You will have to find a different culprit for your disappearing plants.

Ramshorns do not eat healthy plants. I have them all over my tanks they do not hurt anything. I rather like them. They are a wonderful indicator of overfeeding. You will have to find a different culprit for your disappearing plants.

Actually that's only partially correct. There are actually several species of snails that in the aquarium trade go by the name "Ramshorn." Some won't eat live plants, but others will. So it's not enough to say you have a snail that your local pet store called "Ramshorn," you need to know the scientific name of which snail you have.

The Brown/Black Ramshorn (Planorbis cornea) and Red Ramshorn (Planorbis rubrum) are generally understood to be completely plant safe. These can be recognized by the fact they are typically solid colored, and rarely grow to larger than 1" in diameter. While they will most certainly munch on dead/decaying plant matter, reports of these eating living plant matter are exceedingly rare.

The Columbian Ramshorn (sometimes called the Giant Ramshorn), Marisa Cornuarietis, on the other hand is a voracious plant eater, and some specimens will actually prefer eating live plants to other food sources (such as detritus or commercial fish food). These are easily recognized by their yellow and brown striped appearance (though a word of warning, there are some examples of more solid-colored brownish or yellowish ones, though this seems to be relatively rare). Despite the fact that (other than the coloring) they look essentially the same as the Brown/Black/Red Ramshorns, this snail is from a completely different biological family; indeed it is more closely related to the Apple Snail than it is to the other Ramshorn snails seen in the hobby. These are larger than the other Ramshorns, being capable of reaching about 2" diameter when full grown.

So, was a Ramshorn snail the culprit? The answer: it depends. :rolleyes:

The Colombians are rare compared to the ones most of have and that get bounced around with plant trading etc. I guess it is possible these are the Colombians but I doubt it.

Duckweed is so soft and easy to eat that even plant-safe snails will devour it. Every other plant I've tried with Brigs is safe, but they'll eat every last piece of duckweed.

awesome lol I've always had luck with lettuce and cucumber slices. but nothing beats a couple clown loaches to get rid of baby snails lol they do an awesome job!

I read this thread the other day and it got me wondering. I have a 20 gallon container "pond" and I've been wonering why the duckweed has been growing so slow. A few days ago I added a few more Red Ramshorns and I noticed a few of them on top of the water. Sure enough they were eating the duckweed. That's a good thing, helps me keep the duckweed under control. :)

I had a snail outbreak a few weeks ago and have been collecting them in a small aquarium for now. I threw in some duckweed and it was gone by morning.

I noticed last night that my mystery snails were eating the duckweed also as well as my Red Cherry Shrimp hehe. It's ok tho, I have plently lol That stuff is multiplying like mad.

Back
Top Bottom