Acclimating a Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know they come in the cup, so how is this done? I am assuming drip acclimation will be recommended, but I have made un-successful attempts at that method.

You can pour out about half of the water in the cup and then drip your tank water into it or just pour in small amounts over a period of time.

Honestly, if the betta is healthy looking, I'd do my best to temp match and then plop n drop. I vary acclimation depending on the fish. Some folks aren't going to agree or be comfortable with that though. Just my 2 centavos.

Thanks. How can one tell if the betta is healthy in a cup? Any that I see look dead. they definitely aren't happy, and they only move when you move the cup.

Body size, shape of fins, lack of anything on the fish, etc.

Betta Fish Care: 6 Signs You Have a Healthy Betta

"1. Bright color: Whatever color your betta is should be clear. A betta that looks dull or drab isn't doing well."
"2. Full, healthy looking fins: What does your betta's fins look like? They should be smooth and flowing. If they're torn, hanging, or have stuff on them then your betta is unhealthy."
"3. A strong, healthy, smooth body: Your betta should be streamlined. If the scales appear ruffled or there's growths and sores on the body then treatment may be necessary."

ive kept bettas for a while. similar to the above post:
  • test a water sample from the bag/cup housing the fish
  • compare it to my own
  • match the temps
  • set him free after about 30 mins
:)

I pour the betta from the cup into a bigger bowl and drip acclimate for a while. Most of my bettas come from big box stores where they keep them drugged in some kind of blue stuff. I prefer to dilute the blue stuff to at least four times the original volume before adding the fish to the tank.

As HN1 suggested, I try to find healthy bettas at the store. My wife is the betta selector and she's drawn to the fish with nice fins and colors, which makes my life easier. Try sticking two cups next to one another so that the fish can see each other. This will usually get them to flare up or get active.

For my Betta, Gillbert, I just poured off about half of the blue water and poured in half of my water (tap, treated with de-chlorinator drops) that I had let set next to his cup for about an hour, mostly to keep the temp good. Then after about an hour, I poured off as much of the water in the cup as possible and carefully poured him into my bowl (I would suggest you get a net! It helps.) He did well and started building a bubble nest within two days. :]

I've had a couple of bettas, and I just float the cup in the tank for ~30-45min and then net them in. It's worked for me, and my current betta is happy and healthy. The healthy ones have no poo floating in the cup, and move around a lot when you pick the cup up. Petsmart and most places keep them in the cup for a long time with no food, so try to get ones that just arrived. Petco usually has good stock of healthy bettas, and I *think* they feed/change their water, but maybe not.

--Adeeb

I've had a couple of bettas, and I just float the cup in the tank for ~30-45min and then net them in.

This is what I do, too. It works fine for me as well. I've only had one betta die within 24 hours of purchasing it. I think it was ill when I bought it, even though I always try and be careful when I pick out bettas.

Petsmart and most places keep them in the cup for a long time with no food, so try to get ones that just arrived. Petco usually has good stock of healthy bettas, and I *think* they feed/change their water, but maybe not.

--Adeeb

It depends on which pet store, I think. I walked into Petsmart today and they were feeding the bettas and changing the water. My boyfriend went in a few days ago and they were doing the same thing. I went into a Petco last week and all the fish looked sickly and there seemed to be some waste floating in the cup. I would just look in a couple pet stores and check out the conditions and choose a betta wisely!

I agree that the quality of stores varies, but why buy from anywhere that keeps them in cups? Just because the fish survive it and they change water doesn't make the housing right IMO.

I agree that the quality of stores varies, but why buy from anywhere that keeps them in cups? Just because the fish survive it and they change water doesn't make the housing right IMO.

None of the petstores I know of have bettas in anything but cups, so I have no other way to get them. But yeah, if my LFS did have bettas w/o cups, those would be my first choice.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom