Acclimating Green Spotted Puffer to Brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, long post........please bear with me :)

I need some advice on the best way to acclimate a green spotted puffer to brackish water. Here are the current specs:

I aquired a juvenile GSP from a friend who purchased it from WalMart and it attacked some of his other fish. :facepalm: So rather than dispose of him (or worse, take him back there), I offered to take him.....this was 5 weeks ago. He was in bad shape when I got him, trashed fins, pale, and several ich spots on his fins and body. I really didn't even think he would last a week.

Fast forward 5 weeks, and he is the coolest little dude ever! He is ick free, his fins are almost completely grown back in, his color has brightened up and his belly is white and round. He is a voracious eater, and has already proven to take down a fiddler crab his own size :eek:, and I am soooo in love with him.

He was qt'd in a 15 gallon for 3 weeks while I treated him for ick, etc, and I broke down and bought him a fancy new 36 gallon tank 2 weeks ago. He has been in his new tank (fully cycled) for 2 weeks and is doing great. He is coming up on about 2 inches in length, and now that he is healthy, I would like to start acclimating him into brackish conditions. I will be using Instant Ocean Marine Salt, and I have a suitable hydrometer. I would like to start him at 1.002, increasing salinity by .02 every 2 weeks until he is in a medium salinity (around 1.010). Is every 2 weeks too soon to increase the salinity? I really don't want to kill my BB in my well established filter. Also, I am not sure how to add the initial first dose of salt water to his tank. Is it best to drain 1/2 the water and just add the salt water in slowly (pre-mixed first, of course) or actually take him out, add water to tank and drip acclimate him in a bucket before putting him back in? I would rather not stress him by removing him if I can avoid it, but will do whatever is best for him.

Any advice on how to start this brackish transition would be much appreciated. I would like to be ready to start this process on Thursday, with his next water change.

Does anyone have experience with GSPs that could point me in the right direction?

Back
Top Bottom