Acclimation problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quinnmquinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Rummy nose help!?

First let me start by asking how fragile are rummy nose tetras? I have a 29 gallon all set up and ready so I wanted to put some rummys in it in which they assured me would be fine for the first fish. I got seven and on the way home they were pale naturally. The moment I put the bag to float they all started laying on the side, I thought maybe the new filter electrocuted them. I returned both the fish and filter, exchanging the remains for different rummys. I drip acclimated them, a couple of them were acting funky, when I put them in the aquarium they all died. I put a couple from my feeder tank in there, and they are doing swimmingly. I did notice there guild became quite red before dying. Now I don't want to go back to the pet store with this news because the first time they treated me like an idiot, so I don't know what to do.

I don't know why your Rummy Nose Tetras died but from experience I have found they acclimatise better in a well established tank. My first batch did poorly when the tank was fairly new, but well cycled. 6 months later I had another batch and they thrived and a year later still doing well.
I had a similar experience with neon tetras.
The tank has been up and running for just under 2 years and all additions do well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Their gills were reddening which usually points to ammonia/nitrite/nitrate poisoning. I would purchase a test kit and test your water. What are your params?

I find it odd your other fish did fine but these rummies did not do well, even when you drip acclimated them.

I know its odd, brand new tank too. Im kind of afraid to call the store though, should I even bother getting my money back?

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know why your Rummy Nose Tetras died but from experience I have found they acclimatise better in a well established tank. My first batch did poorly when the tank was fairly new, but well cycled. 6 months later I had another batch and they thrived and a year later still doing well.
I had a similar experience with neon tetras.
The tank has been up and running for just under 2 years and all additions do well.

thank you this does make sense bit instant death shocked me a bit

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom