Ack, My filter went down the drain...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EscVelocity

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, today i noticed my filter output was just a trickle...I decided to dismantle it and give it a scrub. Anyhoo, while taking it apart and rinsing it my freaking impeller fell out and went down my sink drain hole. OMG
To top it all off, i figured out why the outflow was so low and it wasn't because of the filter itself...it was just my pre-filter that needed to be rinsed out.:taped: How aggravating...I discovered this by putting my pre-filter on my power head for a temporary filter. The sponge really isn't pourous enough..
Now i need to scrounge up a plumbers wrench..Grrr..Or maybe..just maybe I could bug my apartment maintenance crew to come retrieve it for me. LOL
If i take apart my plumbing under the sink, will i have to replace plumbers tape or anything?
Right now i'm using my established internal filter rated for a 10g, and the power head that only puts out 45gph...with reduced flow because of the sponge...*sigh* It's going to be an eventful day. Think this will be sufficiant for a 30g until i get this worked out? Hopefully within the next couple of days if not sooner...

You might have luck using one of those extendable magnets they sell in the auto parts store if you have a steel shaft in the impeller. A modified coat hanger might also work.

If your tank is lightly stocked, a small filter should probably be ok for a little while. Otherwise, do PWCs every day.

It dependso on if you have a metal or plastic sink drain assemble. If it's metal it's most likely galvanized and you can use p.umbers putty, or teflon tape. I prefer the tape myself because its not so messy :) If it is plastic you may be able to take it off with your hands without a pipe wrench.

The magnet sounds like a great idea to try, thanks for the tip.
The video is helpful too :)
Har Har Rookie *slaps knee* :p

It appears my drain is both plastic and metal (the catch is plastic, the rest is metal). I also see putty sealing the PVC catch..don't think i'll be getting that off with my hands.

I'll let ya know if i am able to fish it out with a magnet. If not, i'm gonna dismantle the sink tomorrow....

Well, the magnet didn't work..I tried 2 different types. A weak refrigerator magnet, and a stronger magnet. Both magnets just stuck to my sink pipes. lol
Since I live in apartment, i decided to let them take care of it. I put in a maintenance request, so who knows when they will get around to me...lol..*sigh*
My water parameters are perfect though (0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite), so I suppose i'm not in too big of a hurry.

What is your filter arrangement? what kind of filter?

Treat the tank as you would in a power outage if the filter is down.

I would unscrew the sink trap and get the impeller back so the filter is back on line. You shouldn't need any putty or tape to reassemble the trap.

Remember that there is a lot of soap residue in the sink trap. Clean the impeller really, really, well.

Right now i have an internal filter rated for a 10g, and and a power head with the pre-filter i had on my original filter. Both filters are using established media.
The GPH is too low for my tank, but it should be okay for a temporary fix. I've been feeding lightly and will be doing my 1st water change this week today, and then again on Saturday. I usually do my water changes once a week on sat/sun.

My filter is the penguin 170b, its been discontinued. I already tried to hunt down the impeller. Actually, none of the LFS around here carry spare parts. Hmmph, i even had to special order a reverse flow kit for my power head.

Float the filter pads from the penguin in the tank to keep the bacteria alive until the impeller is back.

On it Jim! :) I have had them in a 2g with a bubbler. I've been adding flake food and left over frozen bloodworms to keep the bacteria fed.
I may break down and just buy a better filter.
I'm not really fretting over this, however...i was aggravated the day it happened lol. Just thought i would share my misadventures with you all.
You know, misery loves company. :)

In that case...
plan B

Oh darn! My impeller is gone! Looks like I have no choice but to get a new filter. Might as well be the one I have wanted for a long time. oh well.....

He He He

Back
Top Bottom