Acrylic Or Glass??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joedarat

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been thinking of future projects with a bigger tank, and it seems that acrylic comes out as the winner (stronger, more light come in, lightweight..) Im talking about tanks 75 Gal and up. Any of you have experience with both?

here are links that Ive found when looking for bigger tanks and what they say about acrylic.

http://www.drfish.ca/DrFishWhyAcrylic.html

http://www.aquartaquariums.com/faq.html

Before I bought my 58 gal tank, I pondered long and hard about glass vs acrylic.
You mentioned some of the clear advantages that acrylic has over glass. Other advantage include rounded corners, no seals to leak, and the availability of acrylic tanks in all shapes and sizes.

One of the big disadvantages is cost - glass is way cheaper than acrylic.
What sold me on glass, however, is acrylic's tendency to scratch.
No matter how careful you are, an acrylic tank will get scratched up inside over time from the substrate and decorations. Yeah, light scratches can be buffed out, but that seems like a PITA.
If you have pets or kids, it will probably get scratched up on the outside too.

I also debated this when I bought my 75 gal, and decided to go with glass because of the scratching issue. Now I kind of wish I had gone with the acrylic. The glass is soooo heavy, and the visibility isn't near what it would be with acrylic. Acrylic is way more expensive, tho.

Why don't you buy a small acrylic tank first, to see how easily it scratches, and how easy it is to buff out the scratches. Good luck. :p

I think you'll find that when ppl get serious about large tanks, they usually choose acrylic. When glass gets thick (as is needed for larger tanks) it 1) distorts the image and 2) looks greenish.

I'd say stick with glass in this case unless you have a lot of money to spend and a child/pet-free household.

I think we're at a difficult time in the hobby for these types of decisions. Just like when digital cameras were first coming out, and were so grainy that, though we knew they were a new and convenient step, we weren't quite sure whether they were the way to go.... I think in 10 or 15 years, acrylic will be more scratch-resistant and much cheaper. But until then, we've gotta debate about the various advantages of one versus the other...

I have a small acrylic tank that has been setup for a while now and it is still very clear and without scratches. So I think you can prevent acrylic from becoming like my newly aquired 55 gallon tank that it looks like someone took a coarse brush to. If anything needs to be taken off the glass, a soft cloth does the trick (or one of those magnetic cleaners works as well, but not as good as a cloth). Also, you don't have to be as precise with leveling in an acrylic tank (but don't think you have to worry at all!). Also, I had to remove calcium deposits from the sides of the tank and using a downy towel (wet) and my fingernail (with the paper towel inbetween my finger and the tank), it all came off without a scratch. So I think they are more durable than people think.

I've had a 50 gallon acrylic tank since last march, I love it. So far no scratches or any problems.

I have both acrylic and glass tanks. I personally don't like the acrylic because of how easily it scratches up.

From the outside looking in with the water, fish and plants, I hadn't realized how many scratches I have on that acrylic tank until I emptied most of the water out. Once I did that, I could see every single scratch.

Glass is heavier, but I personally think it is easier to clean and the glass looks so much clearer versus the acrylic.

Here is one option you may have. I have never chose to own a acrylic tank because of the scratch issue. But, it sure does have some advantages over glass. They both actually have their own plus and minuses.

I'm building a 115 gallon at the present and I chose to go with a different kind of glass vs. the regular plate glass. The Diamont SSG glass is what I ordered and there is a huge difference between it and regular plate. It transmits over 90% of visible light, a hair under acrylic, but with the strength and scratch resistance of glass.

http://www.tglass.com/diamante.htm

Check out that link and see what you think. Even acrylic has some color to it viewing on edge, this glass has way less lime green color to it, its here at the house not installed yet, a huge difference no doubt. It is a little more expensive than regular plate. If you go that route, I would suggest finding a vendor closer to home than I did, the shipping for my glass was COD and alot more than I expected 8O Hope this helps, Scott

Have you ever had to move a 125g glass tank? Make sure your medical insurance premiums are paided in advance 8O

I have three acrylic tanks and really like them. If your careful with your inetial set up and routine maint, you'll be fine. I generally don't clean the bottum half inch above the substrate. Substrate in your cleaning material can cause damage.

As far as scratches. Small scratches on the inside of the tank are'nt visible to the eye while the tank is filled and running. If you drain it, yes you'll notice straches on the inside. Small scratches will accumulate from routine scrubbing/maint.

For minor scratches on the outside. I use plain ol car wax to buff them out. Wax the outsides of my tanks every couple of weeks. Water droplets run off the outsides of my tanks like greased lightning :D

Keep in mind, large tanks need a strong foundation to rest on. With water being over 7 ppg, the wieght savings of acrylic vs glass can play a part in the factor.

Im currently in the process of planning a large tank between 100-150g. I can get great deals on glass tanks in these sizes locally. Where as the acrylics at that size are three times more. I personally don't like the look that thick glass cast on large tanks. Therefore I've been scouring the local classified and e bay for acrylic. Theres always someone that gets in to deep and just wants to get a big tank out of thier house. In the past couple of months, I've just missed six large acrylics. Someday it will be mine :twisted:

Theres a ton of info on the net on acrylic tanks. The best thing you can do is research. Figure out whats best for your application and build from there. HTH

Back
Top Bottom