Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Acrylic vs Glass

For those of you who may be wondering, just a word about acrylic vs. glass tanks. I have 20 tanks, only two are glass. IMHO, acrylic tanks are far better. They are much lighter weight, don't leak, and nearly impossible to crack. Only minor downsides are: they can scratch if you rub gravel against the glass (but scratches can be buffed out) and because the top isn't totally open (there is a rim all around and maybe a strut across the top), it makes cleaning and catching fish a little more challenging. They can be easily drilled if you want to add water in-and output plumbing. And they do not yellow, contrary to popular opinion. I've had a 90 gallon acrylic for 27 years and it's almost like new today.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Congrats, I like you're story. I may have to try acrylic. How thick is the acrylic?

Old 12-30-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The thickness of the acrylic depends on the size of the tank. As i remember, I had two thickness choices and I went with the thicker one. I believe 1/4 inch is ok up to 60 gallons and 3/8 inch up to 100-125, and so on. The top rim of the tank is thicker as it provides solid support to the sides.
I should mention, acrylic is considerably more expensive than glass but well worth it in the long run.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
For those of you who may be wondering, just a word about acrylic vs. glass tanks. I have 20 tanks, only two are glass. IMHO, acrylic tanks are far better. They are much lighter weight, don't leak, and nearly impossible to crack. Only minor downsides are: they can scratch if you rub gravel against the glass (but scratches can be buffed out) and because the top isn't totally open (there is a rim all around and maybe a strut across the top), it makes cleaning and catching fish a little more challenging. They can be easily drilled if you want to add water in-and output plumbing. And they do not yellow, contrary to popular opinion. I've had a 90 gallon acrylic for 27 years and it's almost like new today.

I concur...... I LOVE acrylic tanks and specifically acrylic with rounded corners - the rounded corners are sooo nice.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

acrylic certainly more user friendly tanks. problem with acrylic is finding short, wide, almost bookshelf sized aquariums that are good for planted systems.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #6

Make your own style
Old 12-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

A question for those who love acrylic tanks... How do you get mineral deposits off the above-water-level parts of the tank without damaging the acrylic? I use a razor blade to clean my glass hoods and braces, but I figure acrylic is too soft for that.

Just something that's always bugged me, and kept me from being willing to fork over that kind of money.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mineral deposits, as well as scratches, can be buffed out of acrylic tanks. Use a product called Novus - it works wonderfully.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #9

Buy some CLR. mix with water and put in spray bottle. use it as you would window cleaner
Old 01-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personally, for the average person, I think glass aquariums are perfectly adequate. I would love to get an acrylic tank, but I can buy a tank at a dollar-per-gallon from Petco and have more money for fish and supplies later, plus everything I've read says that glass in addition to being somewhat easier to clean, is clearer for you to look through at the fish, has to do with the physics of light, but suffice to say, the glass does better.

Just my .2$

Tags
acrylic, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com