Activated carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollin_22

Aquarium Advice Activist
i heard that activated carbon is nothing more than charcoal.... so could or would i be able to use just crushed up charcoal that is used for the grill as long as it isnt treated with anything? i dont know though, i just heard this, so if im wrong please just correct me...

Activated carbon has been specially refined, so don't crush the Kingsford. On a side note, activated carbon isn't usually needed. I only put carbon in my tanks when I am trying to remove meds after treatment.

Activated charcoal has enormous external/internal surface area as a result of its manufacturing process. That's what makes it so good at adsorbing organic compounds from the water. I don't know the particulars, but it's made by treating stuff like coconut shells with steam at ridiculously high pressure.

Charcoal, on the other hand, is wood roasted in the absence of O2. It's made and sold for its combustive properties, not its adsorptive properties. Briquets contain starch binders, borax, and nitrates - not the best thing for an aquarium. Here is a website with more info about charcoal that you probably care to know!
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/charcoal.html

I don't bother with activated carbon except to remove medications. Others wouldn't run their filters without it. It's really up to you. Just be sure to leave the Kingsford stuff in the grill! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom