Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew C. View Post
I have used Dr Tim's Ammonia Solution to start my tank, and have also used Dr Tim's One and Only Beneficial Bacteria....to seed the filter media. I highly recommend both of these when doing a FISHLESS cycle. Both found on Amazon, and they are the only thing I had used. No problems at all..... highly recommended!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Thank you for the info!

Old 02-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your gonna go with sand get this stuffClick image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3372.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	306770 you will not even have to cycle your tank. It's got the packs of bb with it you add right to your tank. Cycled within a day. It also comes with the conditioner. 😊

Old 02-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

Second time's a charm right?
Emptied and refilled the tank. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and managed to get my ph down to 7.4 from 8.2! Thanks to everyone who tried to help me solve the mystery.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's a huge swing in pH. Our tap here is 7.6-7.8 , I assume yours is also consistent to a degree . How did you modify it? Did you have leaching rocks that you removed from tank? Did you add leaves into filter?
I hope you didn't use those "phdown" products (although for now it's not an issue since no fish...)

ADD
pH is a complicated thing, much better to have it less then ideal but consistent , then constantly fluctuating. Living things adapt eventually to consistent environment. There is even a local discus and apisto breeders here that use hard water (and the picky discuss really really likes things soft)

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrasyuk View Post
That's a huge swing in pH. Our tap here is 7.6-7.8 , I assume yours is also consistent to a degree . How did you modify it? Did you have leaching rocks that you removed from tank? Did you add leaves into filter?
I hope you didn't use those "phdown" products (although for now it's not an issue since no fish...)
I got a PUR water filter that you add on to the faucet. It takes 5 minuets to fill a 2.5 gallon bucket but it works! lol I'll have to wait till next Monday to order the Angel bio filters but throwing in fish food for the moment. No more janitorial ammonia for me!

Tags
sponge

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com