Active Sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coralocean

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just looking for some thoughts on Biologically Active Sponge Filters for Aquarium
The owner says in his video that he doesn't recommend using the sponge with a fishless cycle using ammonia. If it's pure ammonia I don't see how it makes a difference as many of you have cycled with ammonia. I know it's up to me to try it. Any thoughts or experiences. My cycle is still stuck at the beginning.

Ammonia 2ppm (after water change)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.2
Day 25
Thanks.

I don’t see an issue trying it out. There must be some sort of nitrites and nitrates in that tank.... 25 days and nothing? What was your ammonia dosing like?

I have heard positive reviews for this product in regards to cycling.
Not sure why it was not recommended for fishless cycling. Whether it’s is fishless or fish-in, ammonia is being produced regardless.

I don’t see an issue trying it out. There must be some sort of nitrites and nitrates in that tank.... 25 days and nothing? What was your ammonia dosing like?

I got frustrated and removed some ammonia through a water change from 4ppm to 2ppm. I've been throwing in some fish flakes every other day instead in anticipation of ordering the Bio-Sponge.
I am pretty sure I have the right ammonia (adding a picture), it doesn't bubble when shaking it. Maybe I should try a new test kit? The one I have is not expired. (API Master)

Attachments

• ammonia.jpg
    ammonia.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 70
I got frustrated and removed some ammonia through a water change from 4ppm to 2ppm. I've been throwing in some fish flakes every other day instead in anticipation of ordering the Bio-Sponge.

I am pretty sure I have the right ammonia (adding a picture), it doesn't bubble when shaking it. Maybe I should try a new test kit? The one I have is not expired. (API Master)

I never do fishless cycling, so I’m not sure on your ammonia source. But even with adding flake... there has to be some sort of reading. Are you performing the API tests accurately? Shaking the living crap out of the nitrate solutions?

Perhaps I need to shake the nitrate solution even more but doesn't nitrite show up first?

Yes, but the nitrate one is notorious for giving false readings. Just make sure to perform the tests accurately. What temp of the tank running at?

84 F
I just ran the tests again double checking the book and shook the nitrate bottles till my hand hurt.
Same readings :confused:

I have been using Seachem Prime. I have been considering getting the active sponge after draining the tank and doing a fish in cycle.
Sorry for being a pain and thank you for all of your help this my first time doing a fishless cycle. It sounded so easy and no stress on fish.

It really should be straight forward....

You can try bacteria in a bottle and the seeded sponge, add some ammonia and watch how fast it is consumed

At this point why not lol. I'm willing to try anything. At least my anubias is happy sprouting new leaves.
:thanks:

this is so very strange. indeed I would expect to see at least some NO3 and NO2. if the readings are correct (not saying you can't measure) it almost like there is something in your water that inhibits bacterial growth. my old API kit was supposed to have quite a few month before expiration but I could not get a nitrate reading no matter how hard I shook that bloody leaking vial. had to order a fresh one. perhaps your closest pet store can measure your water?
I never cycled with ammonia before (not that I'm saying its incorrect), I always feed the tank flakes.
I wouldn't change water during cycle no matter the readings. not saying that's what caused this but I see little problem with 4ppm Amm (fishless obviously).
perhaps that's about time to try "cycle in a bottle' type of product? can't hurt. I would try that before ordering that sponge you linked to in OP.

--
if you ever in the Loop area or really far north I could give you some seeded filter media, but chances are your closest fish shop can do that too. you will be running in few days

this is so very strange. indeed I would expect to see at least some NO3 and NO2. if the readings are correct (not saying you can't measure) it almost like there is something in your water that inhibits bacterial growth. my old API kit was supposed to have quite a few month before expiration but I could not get a nitrate reading no matter how hard I shook that bloody leaking vial. had to order a fresh one. perhaps your closest pet store can measure your water?
I never cycled with ammonia before (not that I'm saying its incorrect), I always feed the tank flakes.
I wouldn't change water during cycle no matter the readings. not saying that's what caused this but I see little problem with 4ppm Amm (fishless obviously).
perhaps that's about time to try "cycle in a bottle' type of product? can't hurt. I would try that before ordering that sponge you linked to in OP.

--
if you ever in the Loop area or really far north I could give you some seeded filter media, but chances are your closest fish shop can do that too. you will be running in few days
Hey Anton thanks for chiming in! I have asked every fish store in the area for some media and they all say no and tell me to buy the bottle lol. One place gave me a half cup of gravel, still nothing. I have checked & double checked this ammonia and the ever wise internet says I have the right stuff. Maybe a bad batch? I think I will grab a bottle of Stability and see if anything happens. My apartment is in a basement with virtually no natural light or opening windows, I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I thought perfect to keep algae under control. I refuse to give up! lol
Very kind of you to offer some media, I am southwest Chicago maybe at some point I will take you up on your offer, it is a bit of a drive!

Hey Anton thanks for chiming in! I have asked every fish store in the area for some media and they all say no and tell me to buy the bottle lol. One place gave me a half cup of gravel, still nothing. I have checked & double checked this ammonia and the ever wise internet says I have the right stuff. Maybe a bad batch? I think I will grab a bottle of Stability and see if anything happens. My apartment is in a basement with virtually no natural light or opening windows, I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I thought perfect to keep algae under control. I refuse to give up! lol
Very kind of you to offer some media, I am southwest Chicago maybe at some point I will take you up on your offer, it is a bit of a drive!

Did you ever introduce the gravel into your system? If so there is not way the tank isn’t cycling.... There must be something else going on. What was your process of setting the tank up and cycling? What are your parameters like (everything you can measure or tell us will help)

How big is your tank and how much prime are you adding and. How often are you adding it. Could be over doing it with prime. Along with the water change that brought you down to 2 on ammonia. And that nitrate test is a pain.gotta follow it to a T. Could even be in the middle of the cycle too if your seeing nitrite. That's usually a sign of getting closer. And if your getting readings of nitrite your nitrate won't show up till you don't see nitrite any more.

ZxC

Tank setup: Rinsed tank and everything in it with warm water only, no soaps. Triple rinsed the gravel. Added decor and gravel and filled tank with tap water and Prime per instructions. I used bran new plastic buckets that I rinsed well. I am following the Master kit to the letter. My tap water = Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate all 0, Ph is 8.4.
One week ago I got a half cup of gravel from the lfs and hung it next to filer outflow. I also did a small water change to reduce the ammonia to 2ppm, (used Prime) then every other day I add a pinch of flake food.

The water here leaves lots of calcium deposits on everything. I have not tested hardness GH or KH. My LED lights are on about 10 hours a day. I put an anubias in the day after I dosed the ammonia.

So..today ammonia 2ppm, Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0, Ph 8.3. One last thing- I replaced the activated carbon filter with Marineland sponge media 2 days after ammonia dosing, there is also a bio-wheel in the filter.

Attachments

• Tank todayG.jpg
    Tank todayG.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 49
How big is your tank and how much prime are you adding and. How often are you adding it. Could be over doing it with prime. Along with the water change that brought you down to 2 on ammonia. And that nitrate test is a pain.gotta follow it to a T. Could even be in the middle of the cycle too if your seeing nitrite. That's usually a sign of getting closer. And if your getting readings of nitrite your nitrate won't show up till you don't see nitrite any more.
Hey Angellove,

It's a 29 gallon high. I only used Prime when setting up the tank and the ONE pwc a week ago. I use what it says on the bottle 2 drops per gallon. I have never seen a Nitrite or Nitrate reading to this day. I am following the booklet instructions to the letter on the API Master kit.
Thank you :)

I’m at a loss, there is no sign of why bacteria aren’t growing.... next step would be the “cycle in a bottle” use as directed and see if you can get some bacteria populations that way....

I’m at a loss, there is no sign of why bacteria aren’t growing.... next step would be the “cycle in a bottle” use as directed and see if you can get some bacteria populations that way....
Same here the only things I can think of is; the ammonia has an unintended chemical in it perhaps an accident in the facility where it was made or the test kit is faulty. I think I am going to drain the tank and start over with a new test kit and natural ammonia source like -frozen shrimp (yuk) or 2-3 fish.
:banghead:

Much appreciated. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom