Added more fish to 20 long-near overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrNitrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday I bought 7 Harlequin Rasboras. The tank now has 7 White Clouds, 2 Skunk Corys, 3 Albino Cories, and the Rasboras. Filtration is AC 50 HOB and AC 20 powerhead with quick filter attachment. Is this near overstocking or still a fairly light bioload?

All at 1 time. That is crazy, you need to introduce little by little when it comes to the fish so the bacteria can grow and support the bioload being produced. I would suggest testing water everyday and doing water changes every day so the ammonia doeskin get too high and kill your fish. You need to keep doing this until ammonia stays at 0.

I brought home 7 HR's too. And my tank was fine cause they are SO LITTLE! LOL! But sadly 5 of the 7 died before I found out what was going on with them....So now I only have 2 left.

All at 1 time. That is crazy, you need to introduce little by little when it comes to the fish so the bacteria can grow and support the bioload being produced. I would suggest testing water everyday and doing water changes every day so the ammonia doeskin get too high and kill your fish. You need to keep doing this until ammonia stays at 0.

That's how I did it. Started with 4 White Clouds and changed 30% of water every 2 or 3 days. After it cycled I added a few fish every week. The Rasboras were added a month after the tank had fully cycled.

I think that you have room to add more. I wouldn't put any more bottom feeders in though. Keeping the different levels of the tank (top, middle, and bottom) occupied will allow you to stock more without running into territory issues so long as your filtration and maintenance schedule accomodate it.

What blueiz said is what i would do. I just wanted to make sure, good job on saving the fish and learning from your mistakes.

i second what they said, but I would wait a little bit for your tank to balance of from the new fish, then get your new fish.

Hey,
Adding 7 at once is far too many!
I would return them to your LPS or wherever you got them from,
And then ask them to keep 5 back, keep the 2 in the tank and add them 2 every 2/3 weeks. By adding 7 fish, the filter already has alot to handle with your stocking already.
How big is your tank?
Sorry - x

I would be scared to add 7 but i have always added 5 at a time with schooling fish, mainly because i am scared to go any hire.

I love my little harlequins, maybe not the most colourful fish but mines are really full of character =D

Back
Top Bottom