Adding a 29 gallon - Getting it going fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul1792

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK .......... the 37 gallon tank is fully stocked but I still want more fish for my "addiction." I just cleaned up an old 29 gallon and put in 8 gallons of our very poor quality tap water which contains chorine but fortunately not cholarmine.
The tank actually holds 28 gallons after gravel etc is added so the remaining 20 gallons will be as follows:

5 gallons of reverse osmosis drinking water (to combat the tap water)
15 gallons of water from my 37 gallon (described in profile) which has nothing but bottled spring water and tested out "pristine" with liquid drops at Petland about a week ago. I will do that with a 10 gallon water change and vacuum tomorrow and another 5 gallons a week after that.

Filter will be an aquaclear 50. I will put one of the two filter elements from the 37's aquatech 30-60 into the new aquaclear to supply beneficial bacteria.

When I do the water exchange from the 37, I plan to put in all or most of the "bottom droppings" into the new tank, too. Not sure if I should let them settle out first in the bucket and not pour them all in.

I plan to start adding fish in a week. My API Master & GH/KH test kits will arrive tomorrow.

Any suggestions ????
Also, isn't reverse osmosis water essentially distilled ?????? The guy at Peland where they sell it for 50 cents a gallon says it can be used for regular water changes without adding any special treatment ....... That doesn't sound right to me.

Back
Top Bottom