Adding a Lid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my 110g for a little over 6 months now and everything is going great but it hasnt had a top, i was getting tired of topping it off so often so i just added one.

I was just wondering if this would change the conditions of the tank, since there is less fresh air and the water will remain warmer.

I have had my 110g for a little over 6 months now and everything is going great but it hasnt had a top, i was getting tired of topping it off so often so i just added one.

I was just wondering if this would change the conditions of the tank, since there is less fresh air and the water will remain warmer.
I assume it has a feed hole. Even with a lid you will get a little evap. It will probably retain heat a little better. If you're using a heater you can just turn it down slightly if you have this issue. I don't believe it does anything to water parameters.

Yes, it will have a measurable impact on both evaporation and heater effort. all things equal temp will remain +-same, but the heater will come on less. If you have good surface agitation oxygen still going to be more then adequate to sustain your fish. I'm happily using glass tops.

I know it’ll help control temperature and evaporation, I was more worried about oxygen level and other parameters it might effect.

From the sound of it though I should be good

I assume it has a feed hole. Even with a lid you will get a little evap. It will probably retain heat a little better. If you're using a heater you can just turn it down slightly if you have this issue. I don't believe it does anything to water parameters.

Yea it has holes on top I just didn’t know how oxygenation works, I know if I go under my blanket in bed for 5 seconds I in out of air, let alone cover me in a fish tank!!!

Yea it has holes on top I just didn’t know how oxygenation works, I know if I go under my blanket in bed for 5 seconds I in out of air, let alone cover me in a fish tank!!!
Lol. Ya it doesn't quite work that way. You will be good with a lid and it will save you the time of constantly adding water for evap. Keeps fish from jumping out too.

Back
Top Bottom