Adding a plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppylvr11

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking about adding a live plant to my 10g freshwater tank. What are the pros and cons of adding a plant if there are any. What's the best way to add a plant to a tank? Is it okay to add while it is cycling? My lfs told me adding a spongy plant can help the cycle because it has bacteria in it already from the tank in the store is this true?

I'm thinking about getting a couple of ghost shrimp as well

Adding a plant will act a kind of like a mini filter; Eating up the ammonia

Plants are great, they make your tank look nice and make your fish happy too. For a ten gallon you could get a nice anubias or some Java fern, even some moss balls. Similar to what the above user said, they can help keep some of your water parameters stable and under control. Just make sure you have a good light source and proper fertilisers and c02.
I have a moderately planted tank and couldn't be bothered with a c02 set up, I have been using seachem excel with excellent results.

Keep in mind, shrimps (and snails, and a few other critters) won't do well with any copper in the tank, which can be found in some plant fertilisers. I lost a whole group of cherry shrimp due to my own ignorance...

What are good fertilizers I'm not completely sure how to care for the plant. Also I'm not sure what kind of plant it is it was just sold under aquatic plant. I can't have a co2 setup so is seachem excel an alternative option?

If you are keeping low tech plants like anubias and java fern, you don't need ferts or co2. Just good nutrients in the substrate and they'll be fine.

Maybe post a picture of the plant and if someone knows what it is they can let you know.
As for fertilisers, if you consider it for some time down the line, I've always been satisfied with seachem products. Right now I am using excel, flourish, and nitrogen, but it's really up to you and what works best for you. I just didn't want to be fussing with tabs, nor did I want to invest in a c02 set up.

IMG_0426.jpgIMG_0425.jpg

Here's a couple pictures I have no idea what type of plant it is. Pet store told me it was great for sucking up ammonia and it was just supposed to stay above gravel like that.

Looks like a Java fern on a coconut husk. You've got yourself a low maintenance plant :)

I don't know of any water test for copper, but you can check the ingredient list or breakdown of anything you put in the tank to see what's in it.

Okay good to know thank you! Will adding ghost shrimp be okay with this plant?

Do ghost shrimp do better in a certain number or solo? Sorry for all the questions btw

No worries. Personally I'd keep them in a group. I couldn't imagine what it would be like living alone my entire life lol. And shrimp are great because you can keep many of them, they have a very small bio load. Just make sure you have plenty of hiding spots for them.

You might want to put Seachem Flourish tabs in your substrate, or your plant will struggle. Looking at your substrate, those colorful rocks will provide zero nutrients for your plant to succeed. Also, if you do a planted tank, no more gravel vacuums. Only the stuff floating on top can you clean. You might want to just change out your substrate all together if you go planted. If would look better. But plants are really fun to have. Crypt Wendtii and Anubias Barteri are other good low maintenance plants if you want to add more.

You might want to put Seachem Flourish tabs in your substrate, or your plant will struggle. Looking at your substrate, those colorful rocks will provide zero nutrients for your plant to succeed. Also, if you do a planted tank, no more gravel vacuums. Only the stuff floating on top can you clean. You might want to just change out your substrate all together if you go planted. If would look better. But plants are really fun to have. Crypt Wendtii and Anubias Barteri are other good low maintenance plants if you want to add more.

No gravel vaccuming in a planted tank.? No ones ever told me that. Interesting

Back
Top Bottom