Adding angelfish... One already in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We really want to have a group of angelfish in the 55g tank. Currently we have one (see picture).

In the previous tank (29g) he was a thug- got worse when the tank go so overgrown with plants. He knocked off two previous angelfish tankmates in that tank (both were slightly smaller).

I have read a few suggestions that you either keep a single angelfish, or more than 3 to keep the thuggery to a minimum.

Anyone have an idea how to add a few to the 55g? I'm thinking if we could find a couple that are at least as big, or even slightly bigger...??

get one close to his size and turn the lights off prior to floating bag rearrange tank leave lights off til next day. thats the best way.

Yeah, angels are certainly all individuals. My best advice would be to get angels that are the same size. He may chill out in a bigger tank, but you never know.
Make sure to feed him, turn the lights off, and then add the new ones. Also, it can help curb aggression to turn off the lights and re-arrange all the decor. It messes up the territories that the fish were trying to defend.
Is there any chance you could take out the thug and put him bnack in the 29 for a bit while the new angels get acclimated and then add him back into the 55 later?

yes, you can add another angelfish!

however I recommend...
1) its the same size
2) the opposite sex to create a pair (or two females)

the general guide is 1 single angelfish, or 4 or more.
3 is a bad number from experience.

Depending on what other fish you have stocked, you could squeeze 4 angelfish in your 55 gallon
good luck :)

Well, I'm no expert, but I would agree with the above. I have tried groups of angels in different numbers and sizes (mostly through impatience and ignorance) The only time I tried to add angels where one was already present, they were much smaller and did not fare well. However, I have kept a pair on two seperate occasions and they did well, once even mated. Good luck and enjoy!

Bubble_B0y said:
yes, you can add another angelfish!

however I recommend...
1) its the same size
2) the opposite sex to create a pair (or two females)

the general guide is 1 single angelfish, or 4 or more.
3 is a bad number from experience.

Depending on what other fish you have stocked, you could squeeze 4 angelfish in your 55 gallon
good luck :)

With todays breeding its a lot harder to determine sex until mating :(

Always at tricky one. I have two large Angels in my 63 Gallon & I added a juvenile Pearlscale Angel into the tank a couple of months ago. One of my larger angels took exception to it, but it was quite strong willed and after a few days the larger stopped bullying it.

Now, a few months on, all three co-exist with no problems at all & if anything the smallest is the most dominant. Just like in life, it's always the little ones you've gotta watch out for ;)

This is well after the fact - but:

Found some nice angels at our preferred lfs and bought 3 (had a buy 2, get one free special). introduced the three new angels according to the suggestions (lights off). One was killed within 3 hours. The second was bullied to death after about 4 days. This left one solid gold angel.

After another couple of days - the "tide had turned" - now our original angelfish was becoming the "victim" of abuse. Interestingly - after now having the newest angel for a little over a month, a new pecking order has been established. If our old "Stripe" comes out to eat - the gold one doesn't' tolerate it long and chases it back into the plants or under the filter discharge. No significant damage seems to be done - just a whole new "king of the tank". Stripe seems to be getting enough food, and looks healthy - he just has to lay low most of the time.

Of particular interest - both are growing - but the gold one seems to really have taken off. In the last few days, the gold one is showing its papilla - though I cannot get a good photo to show... Not sure what to compare it to to try to sex it.

Cichlids will be cichlids. I had initially started with a black marble and a striped angel within 3 hrs of bullying the striped died. I went back to the store a week later and got another marbled angel. I put him in the tank and the established angel attacked him instantly but wouldn't do any damage 5 months later the are inseparable they eat, swim, and sleep together. It really just depends but if you have the space get 4 or 5 let them pair up if they don't the aggression will be spread out enough you could keep them all if you wanted. good luck

We've spent a small fortune on angelfish over the last 6 months! And now with them nearly "adult" size...

But will keep my eyes open.

Thought it time for an update...

Over the course of the last year+, we have tried angelfish after angelfish with catastrophic results. But the last. Arch of angelfish that resulted in one of the. We angelfish taking over as the king of the tank seems to have stuck.

Since October, both Angela have grown, though "Goldie" has blown us away. But he also picked constantly on "Stripe". When I had to thin out vegetation, the tormenting would increase.

But a few weeks back, a friend of mine came on to a pair of angels that had been brought in to the lfs he does business with. He got them and added to his 55g tank, only to see on of them immediately begin to try to eat all of his tetras.

He brought that one to me When added to my tank- it has spread out the picking that Stripe use to receive- so we now have three angelfish that are cohabitating. So far, all is well.

Back
Top Bottom