Adding Chemicals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonstinton

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, i was just wondering if its ok to add all the weekly chemicals at the same time each week, as in all on the same day. I'm adding things like Fresh Start, Fliter Start, Filter Aid, Flora Boost as well as changing the filter every week and was wondering if it is ok to do them all at the same time, cause it is quite hard to remember to do them all at differnt times of the week especially when i'm at uni and my fiancee is at work.

Hope you all had a great christmas and new year,

Cheers,

Jon (& Liz)

Hi Jon. Why are you adding chemicals at all? Is your tank brand new?

Well the tanks is about 5 months old, but we add Fresh start when we do a water change, Filter Start when we change the filter and Flora Boost to give the plants all the nutrients they need.

I thought this was normal. Is it not? Does anyojne not add any chemicls?

I'm really confused now and am not sure what to think as the aquatic centres we've been to recommend adding these chemicals regularly.

:( Any help gratefull accepted.

Tar muchly!

Jon

Well, I use 1 tsp. Tetra's CichlidVital, 1 tsp. of Marine Salt, 1 tsp. of Epsom salt, and 1 tsp. of Proper PH 8.2 in each 5 gallons of water--but that is to make reverse osmosis treated water hard, and add trace nutrients, for my cichlids.

If it works for you, then keep it up, but you may find through research and trial that you are wasting money. JMO. The only thing you should have to add is a dechlorinater if you use tap water and it is dechlorinated.

I really don't think you need to add any of those chemicals - the only one I am unsure about is the FloraBoost as I do not keep any live plants and am unsure of their requirements. The rest is a waste of your $$ IMO. I have found there are alot of products out there that are basically useless but people get suckered into buying so that the companies and stores can sell more products and make more $$ off unsuspecting people. You tank must be established, I would leave it alone.

Ok, thanks for your opinions. Its always good to hear other people experiences. We may try to reduce the amount of chemicals we're adding and see how it goes.

If anyone else has any comments, i'd really appreciate them.

FYI We have a 5 gallon tank with 3 tiger barbs, 4 sunset platy and 24 fry platy.

Anyone else have a similar tank and add any chemicals?

I'm going to echo shawmutts point. The only thing you should be adding is dechlor when doing water changes. I actually think everything else can do more harm than good.

As for the plants, I've never heard of Floraboost. What does it contain, and what plants do you have? BTW, you've asked good questions!! :wink:

Well, we'll give it a try without the chemicals. The flora boost doesnt actually say what is in it but it says it shouldnt harm the fish or the filter. We'll see how it goes without the chemcals.

One other question though, is it better just to have fake plants as they do have days where they look dirty and make the whole aqurium look unclean.

BTW Brian, i love the pics of your fish, they're really cool. I'd love to have a tank the size of the one you are photographed with but on a poor UK student budget i'm making do with my 5 gallon!

Regards

Jon & Liz

I am very skeptical about chemical additives, I won't add anything unless I know exactly what is in it and what it is supposed to do.

I use plain sodium thiosulfate (DeChlor brand) for chlorine/chloramines. For Ph buffering (I have rift lake chichlids) I add 1tsp(5ml volume) organic sea salt, 1tbs(15ml volume) epsom salt and 1tsp(5ml volume) organic baking soda for each 5 gallons of water.

Those are all the additives that go into my water, someone would have to do a lot of convincing to get me to add anything else :)

FYI We have a 5 gallon tank with 3 tiger barbs, 4 sunset platy and 24 fry platy.
OMG, way to many fish for a 5 gal. The only chemical I use is a declorinator. I would be extremely careful of chemical build up, especially in such a small tank. Any chemical, even the beneficial ones, can become lethal if it becomes too concentrated.

Ok, just redone my calcs and the tank is 15 US gallons (55 UK Litres)! Damn the metric system!! LOL!!

How many fish do you recommend for htis size tank?

It seemed really empty with just the adult fish in it.

I have a 25 g tank that I started about a month ago. I frequently am adding chemicals to balance the water after I do a weekly (or so) test. Usually I add stress coat when adding new fish or water, stress zyme once a week or so, Ph down very often (don't know why my Ph is so high), a basic water conditioner, and an amnonia remover...should I not be doing this? How often should I let the water go untreated?

The only thing I add to the tank is Bio-Safe, a dechlorinator, when I do a weekly water change. From what I've learned on this forum, all that other stuff (StressCoat, etc.) is unnecessary once your tank is cycled. A healthy tank that gets a weekly water change and a periodical gravel vac, and that has a good filter, should be self-sustaining.

Will the excess chemicals harm the fish? Because usually if I test high pH, I will add pH down, if I test high in nitrite, I add some amnonia remover...things like that...

The best way is to have your bio-filter turning the ammonia and nitrites into nitrates that you remove through water changes. Plants use the nitrates too, but unless you have plenty of light it won't be very much.

This article has some good info on the nitrogen cycle, as does this article

Or do a google search for say, aquarium nitrogen cycle

Trying to chase your Ph around can be a hassle too.

I agree that that's too many fish for that tiny tank...

I'll also echo the other statements that you don't need those chemicals. I've been running my 55 gallon for over a year and the only thing I put in is de-chlorinator (only if I can't let the water sit for 24 hours before going in the tank) and 1 tbsp of aquarium salt per 5 gallons. That's it, and I've had no problems.

Good Luck!

Ph down very often (don't know why my Ph is so high)
gregerica, why do you want to lower your PH? What is your PH? What kind of fish do you have? Fish can adjust to all kinds of water conditions. Only some fish are very particular. It would be interesting to know what fish and what PH you have.
Stress Zyme and Stress Coat, and all that stuff are nothing but marketing crap. Do not waste any money on any of that stuff, ever. Dechlor at weekly water changes is what you want. No chems if at all possible - is my and other people's motto.

Well, right now, I have in my tank a number of platies and swordtails, a bala shark, african frog, chinese algea eater, and two upside down catfish. I lost an angel fish last week for unknown reasons. I test my water frequently at either the fish store or with a home water test kit. The color indicator says that my water is higher than the 7.0ish range...Let me know what ya think...

Back
Top Bottom