Adding Coca Cola to fishless cycle????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Dog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I’ve been cycling my tank for a little over a week now. I added Dr Tim’s ammonia to help speed up the process. I also seeded in with established media from my 20 gallon and didn’t see any nitrates or nitrites. I’ve used stability (didn’t work) but one thing that is working is tetra safe start plus. I added it 24 hours ago and already have .25 nitrites and 40 nitrates. The girl at my local fish store told me to use tetra safe start and I heard mixed opinions about it. Any I listen to her and she is putting me in the right direction so far... HOWEVER.. she told me to also add 2 tablespoons of coke??? Lol I’ve never heard of that but she says it works?! Anyone heard of this before??

What the.....
Huh... That’s a new one.

I can’t even figure out what theoretically that could hope to accomplish.

I’d definitely pass on the soda in the fish tank...

She said something about it breaking down and feeding the bacteria... idk I’m not trying it but it was the first time I’ve heard about it haha

Coca Cola? Nonsense. I'd also quit using any of that other stuff. If you used media from an established tank, all you need is time. Give it a month or so and the tank will be cycled.

Back
Top Bottom